Hello Everyone

Started by theswimmer, October 27, 2014, 02:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

I am a Bay Area transplant to the Sierras by way of Fresno State but miss my 'Big Pond' !
We make every excuse to go over to the coast when it is not ski or trout season.
I fish mostly the rocks and reefs from the shore but am getting into boat fishing more and more.
After inheriting both my grandfather and my fathers gear I too have a serious maintenance backlog!

Great site Alan, I cant believe the volume of great info available here.
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Welcome to the site, Neighbor --

One can learn as much or as little as they need here...

Learn how post pics with the free photobucket service -- everyone can share in your accomplishments and questions that way.

What part of the Sierras do you live in?

I am up near Shaver Lake at 4400'.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

It looks like we are neighbors Fred.
I live close to the top of the four lane at about 4600 feet elevation off Old Auberry Road.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Yes,

Pretty close, Jonathan --

We are also on Auberry Road, at the top of the four-lane, across the road from Meadow Lakes, about 1/5 mile off the road.

Just 1/4 mile North and past the Fire Station.

We will need to get together sometime -- might be able to help you with a reel project or two.

You might be close to Alder Springs, or Mile High?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Welcome Jonathan.

Wow, you and Fred are neighbors.  How funny.  It would be even more funny if you actually knew each other by face from the local establishments. 

Howdy Neighbor. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

theswimmer

Hey Fred, we are very close .
I live right across the street, My nearest neighbor is John Mount, across the street from me.
I will be tearing into a bunch of conventionals as I don't think that many had service over the years so I am sure I will be asking for some help.
And Bryan you are right we probably know each other by sight.
This is a very small community and we like it that way,  the 1 or 2 restaurants and 1 bar are all there is for entertainment besides Fishing and High School Football!  ::)

Errol Flynn

foakes

Hi Jonathan --

Met John Mount when we first moved up here about 4 years ago.

Been a couple of bears making the rounds, eating apples from our trees.  No big deal -- looks like a sow and a yearling or two-year old.

Glad to help with any reel projects you may need a part or two for -- I do have a few parts.

And you may have a question or two.

I will send you a PM with my contact information, a little later today.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

alantani

welcome!  i'm a transplant from fresno to the bay area.  my parents still have a farm in sanger.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on October 27, 2014, 08:10:01 PM

Been a couple of bears making the rounds, eating apples from our trees.  No big deal -- looks like a sow and a yearling or two-year old.

You can't fool me.  That must be photoshopped.  Bears poop in the woods... :D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

theswimmer

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and thanks to Alan and all the folks who make this site GO!

Fred ,I have seen the bear sign often this summer when Miss Mari and I go for our daily run/walks.
We walk/run Harris's property everyday.

I had a 4 point and a 3 point deer in my tomatoes last night.
If Mari had not been home I would be smoking deer jerky as we speak.
Thanks again for making me feel at home, I will need some help!

Errol Flynn

foakes

Yeah,

Don't let my wife Sue know you are checking out her pet deer.

She has most of them named, and feeds them daily -- and the foxes, raccoons, squirrels, etc.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.