My first Tiger Shark

Started by Chris Gatorfan, October 27, 2014, 04:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

Went out friday night and all day saturday trying to get a shark for weighin at the tournament. 20 hours of straight fishing with nothing but some short bump during the evening. Well needless to say after working all day friday, and then fishing 20 hours straight we were dead men walking.
We decided to load everything up at 4pm, and instead of standing on the beach and reeling my rods in i decided i would jump in the yak and reel myself to the bait....keeping it out longer. Got the first rod reeled up with nothing more than some crab bites so took it to shore and got started on my 12/0. Well after reeling up about 150 yards my line shoots hard left. Not looking at the shore i didnt relize it but instead of me crusing through the water from reeling in line i was on a sleigh ride. I finally make it to the leader grab hold and as i start to pull it in the yak a 6ft Tiger shark shoots up from the depths. I realize he is hooked so i quickly tie the leader to the yak and proceed to head to shore. As i turned around i realized i have been drug out close to 1100-1200 yards past the initial drop spot. After fighting against him for nearly 30 minutes i finally make it to shore, got a few quick pics and released him safe and sound. For me it was an awesome way to catch my first tiger shark.

Pics will be up soon.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Rancanfish

Holy crappoli !  (that's Italian, just ask Dom).

Being towed out would be enough for me to cut the line! See ya.

Post those pics!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Wow, that's excitement for sure.  Congratulations.  I don't know if I would have tied the leader to my yak.  I would want at least 25 yards between that bad boy and myself.

I bet after releasing that bad boy and once your heart slowed down, you were really DEAD tired.

Glad you are also back safe and sound
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Chris!
I think the 20 hours straight must have got to you. Do you have a Death wish man!
Can't wait to see the pics! ;D
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

harryk3616

nice tiger.   caught two big tigers about 33 years ago when i was young and in good health fishing, one was 670 and the other 674,    got a big threasher at the bayshore mako tourney, 575, back then releasing fish wasn't big, but as i look back, i should have cut them loose to fight another day.

Three se7ens

Tigers are pretty stout fighters, my biggest yet was just under 10' to the fork of the tail.  4 hour battle, and it was on an okuma spinner.

Chris Gatorfan

Here are a couple of the pics. I am having issues getting them all loaded up.
Also I am including a picture of Our team Logo, as me and my partner have made the move to becoming an Official Fishing Team.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Chris Gatorfan

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 27, 2014, 04:38:04 PM
Chris!
I think the 20 hours straight must have got to you. Do you have a Death wish man!
Can't wait to see the pics! ;D

No death wish...Though I almost had a heart attck when it came up from under the Kayak when i first grabed the leader. Even in broad daylight i dont think I have ever been more scared while out on the water.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Good Job My man! ;D Love that Logo too! ;)
Life is Good!

harryk3616

nice pics chris, thanks for posting them

ChileRelleno

Congrats, nice Tigger, one more off your bucket list.
The first pic is great when I open it up, I don't know which grin is bigger, your's or the Tiger's?
Definitely a happy man, not so sure about the shark  ;D

Really nice day out there, look at the lake.

Got a kink in my neck trying to look at those  :D

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."