How would you guys go about removing this broken screw?

Started by FatTuna, October 27, 2014, 06:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

My buddy gave me a reel that has two screws with broken heads that are stuck in the frame. I tried a bunch of stuff but I can't get them free and I want to save the frame. Any tricks or advice? I was thinking that maybe a torch lighter might help...?

cwillis85

I have had good luck in the past notching the top of the screw with a narrow dremel wheel so you can use a flat head screwdriver on it. Then depending on how much meat is left of the screw i find my cordless impact, (used very lightly) frees most screw that wont come lose normally.
Chris

FatTuna

Cwillis, thanks for that. I will probably give that a try tonight. It is really stuck in there though. The reel was in really rough shape. He never maintained the inside and everything was filled with corrosion and salt water. It sat like that for years. I managed to clean everything else up really well but I'm still struggling with this annoyance.

Do you put anything on the screw first to let it sit and loosen it up?

cwillis85

I tend to soak all my parts in Vinager, being careful to only soak for short amounts of time. Vinager will eat the finish if you soak too long. Have also heard of guys on here swearing by PB Blaster, coleman fuel, and an arms lenght list of other things. I think the most successful part for me is the impact driver, ot is similar to smacking a seized bolt with a hammer to break the bolt free from corrosion. A few light hammer taps may help here too. May also be a good idea to wait a day or two and see what others have to say, far more experienced souls than I on this site.
Chris

foakes

Another technique that works fairly often for me -- using a small drill bit with a drill press and jaw-protected drill vise -- drill a small hole -- then use an easy-out bit attached to a t-bar -- ease it out by hand.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Three se7ens

There is nothing easy about an easy out... 

http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8440P-Grabit-Damaged-Extractor/dp/B001A4CWHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414464267&sr=8-1&keywords=grabit+screw+remover

These work pretty well for screws, and I have had a fair amount of success with them in the past.  But heres an important note:  if any screw is stuck enough that you break it off, its not likely you will have any luck with any mechanical means such as those or an easy-out. 

Being a machinist, removing broken screws and bolts is something I tackle on a regular basis.  My go to method is the welder.  By building up the broken screw with weld, you accomplish 2 things.  First, the heat cycling is often enough to break free even the most corroded screws and bolts.  Second, it gives you a solid place to grab it with a pair of vise grips.  My overall success rate is around 95% using this method.

I understand thats a bit beyond the means of most, but it could mean the difference between a scrapped part and a usable one.

But for steel bolts in an aluminum part, you can still take advantage of the heat.  Aluminum expands far more than steel when heated, so heating the part in an oven or toaster oven could help free the stuck bolt enough that you can get it out.

Shark Hunter

Which ever method you use Sean. I hope you get them out. That looks like a penn ss. You could always buy a new case if things go bad.
Life is Good!

jonnou

I work with stainless screws into aluminium every day as a Joinery fabricator
there seems to be a bit of screw left so I would grab at a slight angle with some side cutting pliers and try for a 1/8 th turn
then repeat you have to squeese the pliers just about hard enough but not quite cutting the screw
If this doesnt work then file flat and try to get a drill centered
good center punch and patience required
heat penetrating oils Prayer crossed fingers and cussing all help too ;D

foakes

There are many ways to extract screws -- heat is a good method -- but I am probably over careful around the aluminum parts.  And I don't have a welder -- so it is generally a propane torch or soldering iron for me -- with a container of ice water close by to dip the hot part into -- hopefully the temperature shock contracting the aluminum enough to start to break it loose.

Another thing I use very regularly, is my little 5" needle nose vise grips.  These are real vise grips -- not the cheap imported clones from Harbor Freight.  These I use for many things around the reel shop.  And at only 3.4 ounces -- solid metal -- locking jaws with a grip pattern -- ability to get into very small places, just to get a busted screw started -- these are invaluable to me.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Yes on those needle nose Vice-grips!

Fred, you sure hold on to your nickels a long time,   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Off subject just a bit --

My Grandmother on my Dad's side was born in 1883 -- came across the U.S. from Ohio to California as a girl of 5 -- in a wagon train.

Times were never easy for her -- but she raised 6 boys to men -- who all did well.  Husband died earlier than he should have -- so she moved into town and took a job as a cook in a boarding house to make a living and have a place for the kids to go to school, eat properly, get through the Great Depression -- and start their own families.  

Anyway, back to the old nickel --

Grandma Lena had two sayings that have stuck with me all of these years -- I think it illustrates the thriftiness, and good judgement of that generation --

1.  "That man is so cheap, he still has 4 cents out of his first nickel -- and knows where the other penny went!".

2.  "That fellow is so tight, he could squeeze a nickel and make the Indian ride the buffalo!".

So I always have a few buffalo nickels lying around just to remind me of when times were truly tough.

In this day and age of instant gratification, sort of gives me a perspective on what is important -- and what isn't...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

I also use the needle nose Vise-Grip and they do a good job, but on that particular screw that you're showing, I would use heavier Vise-Grip pliers, you might only get one shot.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Not sure if there is enough frame material, but how about drilling the the whole thing out, re-threading the bigger hole and use a bigger screw.....of course this would be a last resort but might be able to save the case, and if your screw collection is big enough you might be able to match the screw head.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

FatTuna

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. You all gave me some great ideas. First, I'm going to try torching it with a cigar lighter and twisting it with the needle nose Vice-grips. If that does not work and it breaks part of the screw, I'm going to try cutting a notch in and twisting it out with the screwdriver. If that fails I'll try the easy out bit. When all else fails I will drill it out and rethread the hole.

Tarfu how do you create the new threads.

Daron, yeah it's a 4th gen SS. I will just end up buying a new one if I can't fix it.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL