Okuma Makaira 30ll sea

Started by oceanaddiction, December 01, 2014, 09:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oceanaddiction

Good Evening.

Just ordered and received a Okuma Makaira 30ll sea.  

I turned up the drag a few turns, put in gear and smiled.  Pretty darn smooth along with the freespool which is not that big to me since I mainly troll.

problem is, when i turn the "clicker" on, I turn the handle and the spool will not turn when reeling even with the drag adjusted properly.  strange.......mess with it a bit and it seems to go in and out of wanting to turn with the clicker on but works fine with clicker off.

Not what I expected out of the box...

I just joined this forum, but have been reading a learning over the years and am thankful for all of the info from Alan and the members on here.  I'm the 43 yr old guy that breaks down his four 50tw's and four 30tw's  every year thanks to learning on here.  They are mostly still in service and what I have been fishing with since I started offshore fishing when I was a teenager... Am wanting a new two speed so Okuma was my choice....

Ill pop her open later and post some pics but perhaps this is a problem some you might be aware of.  Any help appreciated.

Many thanks-

LG

handi2

It must be from just sitting in the box. Push the drag up and give it a few cranks and see if it frees up. If not you will have time to send it back. Mine are great..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oceanaddiction

The good news it was operator error...bad news damn I feel stupid....The drag cam was just set too loose!  I did take it apart to check it out and its certainly different than my 30 and 50 tw's...looking forward to putting some drag to it on the water.

alantani

phew!  i was worried.  i've never heard of one that was not working straight out of the box!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oceanaddiction

Trust me, I did not want to admit that one but I did! :D  Excitement of new reel!