Tef - Gel

Started by Fishead, September 29, 2010, 05:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

Wondering if anyone else uses this product when putting the metal screw into the aluminum reel frame or crossbars?? It is made for the marine industry as a barrier/anti seizing agent when threading stainless into aluminum.I have been using it on the boats I work on for a long time & on ALL my new aluminum framed reels.It looks very similar to the small tube that used to come with the old Newell P series reels many years ago.It is very thick,does'nt run or drip and makes it very easy for the screws to be removed-even if it has been a while.I still use the blue grease for all other areas in the reel.

P.S.Try this stuff on the lugnut studs on a boat trailer,you may never swear at a frozen lugnut again.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Comedie

I started using TefGel about 4 months ago, since it seemed to be very highly recommended by boat guys. No problems with it at all and seems to work as advertised. Watch your torque on screws tho. I stripped out a frame thread very easily once I TefGel'ed it. I know that lower torque is always called for when tightening a lubed threaded screw, but it seemed like the TefGel required a closer watch on torque than I usually have needed.

kamuwela

sounds like some good stuff. ive come across reels with antiseize used on them. it was too messy for me,never used tef gel tho where can i get some? id use it on my trailer and boat atleast

Fishead

Most marine stores should carry it.I know West marine carries it & they have stores everywhere or try them online.

Irish Jigger

I would only use these products on thr'o holes and not in blind holes due to the possibility of splitting the reel frame etc. Alan has posted a pic somewhere showing a frame cracked this way.

alantani

you're supposed to grease the threads.  after all these years, i've found that the threads are so loose and sloppy that you can squirt a little grease into a screw hole and do just fine.  i only had one frame crack.  of course, it was a $200 mistake!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

i had one problem with cracking, seemed like too much grease. i brush grease on the side plate screws with a flux brush. when installing side plates i squirt grease on screw holes,with alans ball needle. the screw will push some grease into frame hole, if the screw feels tight dont force it, back it off and try again a few times if need be. on reels that ive done before i just squirt the cover holes and left over grease on the screws. always regihten screws with grease they back off some from vibrations when trolling.

Fishead

The tube of Tef -Gel comes with a small round brush simimar to a tilt tube brush for puttung it on threads as it was intended.I have also taken the brush after putting tef gel on it and pushed it into the blind holes and rotated the brush to coat the entire inside,The rest comes out on the brush as to not pack too much in the hole.Seems to work for me but I have not done anywhere near the number of reels Alan has.If I screw up one of my reels,I have no one to blame but myself & I will pay to fix it and learn from my mistake.

kamuwela

sounds perfect to me. bet you wont have any problems removing them next time you service the reel
                                                        good luck
                                                           kamu