Labour weekend outing

Started by jonnou, November 02, 2014, 09:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnou

Towed the Boat up to Taupo Bay for the long weekend. Left the Kids with the Grand parents and got out to a windy Saturday afternoon
Tryed our luck with soft plastics but came up empty.
wind was relentless even though It was predicted to drop so we went into the Harbour to set up for the night.
here is a picture of our bedroom for the night

and another

Got up at daybreak had a hot cup of tea and then caught a few livebait on sabikis. Jack mackeral that were hanging around the burley I had left out

we then headed to the harbour mouth to look for Kingfish action. saw the birds working in a bay so trawled up some Kahawai
these were very small so perfect livebait. No visible action in the harbour so we headed out about 12miles to a reef out of 80m
out of the 5 boats there only one was catching and we watched them catch and release kingfish of 15to 20kg two at a time
very disheartening but the charter captain couldn't hook up either. I have a theory we had our livebait at the wrong depth as later we had the school swarm the boat but could not get them to attack the baits.

we then moved out to the 100m mark for a deep drop Jodie (my wife) brought up a small Hapuka (relative of the wreck fish)

we reset and dropped again Jodie hooked up to a large Hapuka I estimate at 20kg got er in the Gimble belt and settled her in for the fight
but about halfway up all want slack. I suffered a barrage of accusations of poor knots and other comments but was releived to find that the 400lb commecially made ledger trace was the failure point. I suspect it was bitten through by a Barracuda as it got exited by the shiny tee swivel it was a clean cut.

the wind was rising so we made the call to head back in but we saw a boil up on the Ruahine shoals so stopped there for another try for Kingfish. no luck again but all of a sudden something hit the side of the boat!!
looked around and there was a small Mako shark It then made a beeline for my livebait and bit off its tail.
one more lap and then came in for the rest and I was hooked up.
short fight and I had it at the boat.

we then headed back in had a snapper fish and broke off some good ones in 6m of water landed one then went back to shore.
so we did't catch a lot but had a great time and the Mako feed all the extended family.

Last picture is looking back at the entrance to the Whangaroa Harbour and is my favorite pic of the trip

foakes

Hey Jonnou --

The best part of that neat trip was Jodie and you getting out together, and making an enjoyable time of it.

We all need that.

Beautiful water, and beautiful Country.

Thanks for sharing & thanks for the good pics.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Nice looking country, thanks for the photos.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

DaBigOno

Thanks for the report!

I love fishing with my wife, even though she catches more and bigger fish.  ;D
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

MFB

Nice, it was 20-25 knots on the west coast (Wanganui) so we didn't get out. Had to settle for playing cards and drinking rum.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Alto Mare

Nice Jonnou!
I also enjoy my wife's company, but not on the boat. I have to deal with books, nail polish, suitcases and more ::).
Most times I tell her that the water is too choppy for her.;D.

Thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Goodonya.  I don't fish with my wife because she whines about hurting the fish, though she won't turn down sushi or a finely cooked piece of Salmon.  I can't convince her that bashing a fish on the head with a bat is humane.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

My Wife just gets Sea Sick. That's the end of Fishing

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

wallacewt

Steve-O

Bet that Mako was yummy. Nice catch.  We've had 55mph winds over the weekend here ... must have gained some strength blowing over this way from NZ. And a nice coat of snow on the peaks this am.

Thanks for sharing the much nicer weather and fishing.

Shark Hunter

Good Job Jon! Thanks for taking us along Buddy! ;)
Pretty Cool on that Little Mako. They are the fastest fish in the Sea!
I bet He tasted Good!
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Daron... that is not a fish...jk

Those little shortfins are great fun.  Fast and explosive.  They will often display arial antics to rival any billfish.  Good work! 
Steaks are pretty on the Barbie too!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

jonnou

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 03, 2014, 03:46:02 AM
Good Job Jon! Thanks for taking us along Buddy! ;)
Pretty Cool on that Little Mako. They are the fastest fish in the Sea!
I bet He tasted Good!

Thanks for your comments Guys
the Mako was good food
we smoked it  for 6hrs over wood smoke
very meaty .
sinews around the stomach area.
bit of a tang not unlike albacore tuna.
removed all the red meat.
very good conversion rate of fish to flesh.

Darron the Mako is the fastest toothed shark but the concensus for speed is the Sailfish. There is a theory that the Broadbill can burst speeds faster than the sailfish.  they are a shark species also and I am keen to catch one . one thing is certain the Mako looks cool

MFB

Haven't caught a mako yet, I hear they are hell stroppy. I also heard on fishing programmes that the wahoo is the fastest fish in the sea, but don't really know that for sure.

Rgds

Mark   
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

jonnou

I thought that about the wahoo too.
the mako was pretty subdued till I wacked it on the head then it got angry
when I turned it upside down it stopped and died