Delrin washers

Started by txangler81, February 03, 2015, 04:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

From what I have seen people are installing delrin washers under the main gear instead of a carbon fiber washer as well as replacing the spring washer or belville on top of the drag stack with one. and from what I have read it is supposed to make the drag smoother. Where can I get these and how much are they?

thanks
Dustin

foakes

Call Dawn at Smooth Drag -- on this site.

Tell her you are a member -- she offers super customer service.

And they are inexpensive.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

I can see a possibility for delrin spool bushings taking the place of phosphor bronze ones. At least it would not be a metal to metal operation.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

BMITCH

Basto, this may be something :-\ drill out the bushing and install a delrin insert. Interesting :-\
luck is the residue of design.

foakes

Hey Basto & BMitch --

Your right -- Delrin works, period.

As for bushings, in the old days -- 20-25 years ago, I did hundreds of upgrades to Jigmasters.

These would include anything from upgrading to smooth drags -- to a full Accurate frame & sideplate install -- with all of the goodies.

Possibly my favorite, was a conversion I called the "Poor Man's 99".

Take a stock 500 -- Accurate frame, stock Penn plates, smooth drags from Newell, SS discs, aluminum spool, power handle, and these brown spool bushings I got from Carl Newell by the bag.  Couple drops of oil -- adjust the spool side to side free play to your satisfaction -- and they last really well if oiled once in a while.  When on a trip, like a long range -- just switch them out easily if needed.

These were 30 and 40 pound rigs when coupled with a Cal-Star or some such decent rod.

Many of my clients used them 80% of the time that they were on long rangers.  And they did very well.

This is what these plastic inserts from Carl look like:

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

I have a few packs of those. My Guru here in NY said to drill the smallest hole possible in the end to oil them. I tried them & didn't like them. The hole for the spool was too small, making the hole larger didn't help either.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

Hey Mike --

If you do not want them -- sell them to me.

When I ship your reels back to you -- you can send them to me, if you wish.

I only have a few left -- and need to find a source of these old guys, or similar.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

basto

I liked ABU`s bushings in my old 7000...just unscrew the side plate cap and they fall in or out., but I can remember someone saying that when they wear, the spool can rub on the frame under load(drag)
I think a metal to "plastic " setup would wear better.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Keta

Quote from: basto on February 03, 2015, 09:34:01 PM

I think a metal to "plastic " setup would wear better.

I like bronze to SS.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Brass to SS.  Brass is softer and slippery than Bronze.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bluefish69

Quote from: foakes on February 03, 2015, 04:28:37 PM
Hey Mike --

If you do not want them -- sell them to me.

When I ship your reels back to you -- you can send them to me, if you wish.

I only have a few left -- and need to find a source of these old guys, or similar.

Best,

Fred

I bought them just because they were Newell. I also have his Drag Washers in original packs. These were bought for collecting.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on February 03, 2015, 10:32:20 PM
Brass to SS.  Brass is softer and slippery than Bronze.

But it lasts longer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

I understand, Mike --

I have probably 300-400 of the old smooth drags from Carl Newell, in a couple of different sizes.

They are the thin reddish marbled ones -- all brand new in packages -- 100 to a pack.

And a lot of SS drag washers.

Got them directly from Carl many years ago.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.