Senator 114H Outer and inner ring. / convert post reel to half frame.

Started by trond_solem, November 02, 2014, 06:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

It seems that the handle side outer ring for the 114H is difficult to find, but inner rings are plentiful. Is it possible to convert an inner ring to an outer ring?

I realize that this might not be possible.
I a asking because I have the possibillity to buy a 114H parts lot. The handle side outer ring is missing among other parts. The good news are that there are almoset enogh parts for two reels. I need to get hold of  a set of plates with rings. There are two sets of gears, drags, bridges, stands, handles etc. One possibillity may be to build one an a half frame if that is possible. Half frames are possible to find at acceptable cost.

Dominick

Trond off the top of my head I would expect that one could take the left side outer ring and file out the grove where the drag comes through.  Maybe someone knows for sure.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

You're right Dominick, I've done it in the past and it doesn't take much.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Quote from: Dominick on November 02, 2014, 08:10:45 PM
Trond off the top of my head I would expect that one could take the left side outer ring and file out the grove where the drag comes through.  Maybe someone knows for sure.  Dominick

I was thinking about this solution too. I have a setup for "rechroming" parts with nickel/cobalt electroplating. The result looks like old chrome.

handi2

Hello Trond,

I did not have a Penn 349 bridge. They are all 49's and 149,s.

I do however have the other parts needed and the 114H handle side outer rigs, and NOS plates if needed.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

trond_solem

Great. I will have to wait until I know that I can buy the stash of 114H parts from the other guy.

edit:
The 114H part lot got very expensive because of shipping costs. I won't sink money into that.

trond_solem

So what about converting a 114H with posts to half-frame?

What about frame spacers? What will fit?

handi2

You can and you will need only the one post. Just be careful with the screws b/c the holes in the graphite frame can easily strip.
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Yes the H2 frame may not work. Check on Scott's website and see. I know some of the other parts do not interchange.
Gulf Breeze, FL

trond_solem

I had a look at that site, but didn't get so much wiser.  Couldn't find any description of what will work or not.
Anyway, there are some frame spacers on e-bay. 114HL and 114HL II. The 114HL spacers may work, but I don't know if the spacers for the senator II will fit.

Shark Hunter

trond,
Why don't you just purchase a reel that already has the factory half frame? Or just get a Tiburon. Problem solved.
Life is Good!

trond_solem

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 08, 2014, 08:06:22 PM
trond,
Why don't you just purchase a reel that already has the factory half frame? Or just get a Tiburon. Problem solved.

If you pay for it, I will get a Tiburon frame or buy another 114H reel.
It has something with the amount of money I am able to sink into it.

handi2

I just bought another Penn 114HL on eBay for $98.00 shipped. It has the factory aluminum frame with the lettering machined into the frame. I don't like the aluminum framed ones with the cross bars.
Gulf Breeze, FL

RowdyW

Quote from: trond_solem on November 08, 2014, 09:36:41 PM
If you pay for it, I will get a Tiburon frame or buy another 114H reel.
It has something with the amount of money I am able to sink into it.

trod, the frame is the same width on a H2 H & HL. You can't use the H2 spool unless you also use the H2 end plates. You can put complete H & HL guts in H2 plates. (I've done that).    RUDY