Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Fred, does that fish chime come with the reel? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

The contest to win the custom DelMar -- is coming to a close!

Restoring these old Penns from spare parts has been fun -- and the finish line is in sight.

So far have 51 reels completely restored.

Looks like around 9 or 10 to go -- then I will just part out the rest -- clean the parts -- and throw them in the category bins for future repairs.

Then the reels will be ready to sell at the Sportsman Show near the end of this month.

When you show folks a reel like a Jigmaster or Long Beach -- they ask how much -- I reply $40 -- sometimes they think that is too much.  After all, they can buy a yard sale reel for $25.

Even when I 'splain that each reel has been completely disassembled, cleaned, any parts needed replaced with new, new CF drags, Cal's greased, adjusted and ready for the Salt -- they still hesitate.  (Many don't, but a few do).

So I think this year, I will price the reels like a Jigmaster, at $15 -- plus the complete service, and the new drags.  That would be around $15 + $20 + $9 = $44.

Basically, they are getting a reel for just close to the cost of the service & parts.  They either understand -- or they don't -- doesn't really make any difference to me.  I don't need to sell them -- but I would like to get them into the hands of people who would enjoy fishing these classics that are set up right.

Financially, it makes no business sense for me to spend this much time on these old soldiers -- I guess I just enjoy showing them the respect they deserve.

And it keeps my skills sharp -- trying to do these quickly, but fully and perfectly functional -- and really learning about the similarities and differences in these old Penns.  With the new drags, upgraded grease, and set up for salt -- they are actually better functioning than new.

I may need a plinth to go along with that prize DelMar -- Daron, the Plinthmeister, extraordinaire?

Best,

Fred

Few pics:

Progress so far, completed 51 --

About 65 pounds so far

Cleaned and ready to reassemble, tune, adjust, replace drags, replace any parts --

Bench Work --

Typical reel before --

After --

Pretty typical condition --

Look at this little guy.  Narrowed Newell bars, 49 stand, 66 star, 112H crank, every part inside is SS -- except the dog & yoke.  Greased CFs, and Delrin.  Free spool at 90 seconds with no line.  Smooth as butter. 

Squid Master Jr?

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

squidmaster...i like it.  great work Fred. i have one now with friggin barnacles on it....reeled up from off a pier. gonna turn out ok tho.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Too cool, that 146 is a nice little piece!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

harryk3616

the teal levelwind in the storage bin is much nicer

crackerman

Do i spy a squidder with maroon side plates and a gold half frame in that tub?

foakes

Yes,

Pretty nice little reel.

Squidder 146 Narrow Jr..

The gold Accurate frame really sets off the old maroon sideplates.

Frame is 1 5/8" wide.

All stainless insides.

Aluminum spool.

Extremely smooth free spool with those big ball bearings.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Amazing work Fred.  Interesting that your origional comment about the reels in the bins with a starting weight of 61lbs should be about 90% complete.  After completing the 51 reels, weight went up by about 8%.  Also, our estimates of weight/reel and parts remaining were typically less then what the actual turned out to be.  This tells me..
-This is not your first rodeo
-We all underestimated what could be done with that 61lb pile of old incomplete reels

So, if your at 51 completed reels now doesn't that mean that we have a winner?  Since Mr. BMitch put in the largest estimate of 51.  I guess the contest is not offically over until all of the reels have been completed, and the officials have reviewed all available data, and come to a unanimous decision.

Great job!

Any idea on the total time invested in this project?  I.e. #hrs/reel average..maybe around 60-80hrs total?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill Karr

Fred,
2 questions:
1. Saw your work on the D.A.M Quick 270 Super. Are all "Super" 270's or is "Super applied to other sizes?
2. Are you going to offer the reels here before your "yard sale" at the Sportsman's show?
Bill

foakes

John --

Do not know on the time -- 60 to 80 may be about right -- but over a period off and on for a few months.

This did not include the thinking time in between -- for example, spent 3 hours on one reel -- trying to get the spool to run smooth on a 145.

Left it alone, came back a few days later -- found a narrow spool, 49 stand, and some old narrow used Newell bars.  Within 7 minutes, it was apart and back together -- running perfectly, and increasing the value.

We will wait until done to complete the contest.  Don't want to stumble at the last minute.  Pride cometh before a fall.  Main thing for me, is to get completed what I started.

As to the weight -- estimates can be off, since there were a few bags of loose reel parts off to the side -- other parts had to be fished out of the bins, such as sideplates, rings, stands, etc.  When the reels are complete, they weigh a little more.

And I have 2 scales -- one for buying, and one for selling -- might have gotten them mixed up.  

When I send out the reel, the winner will also get another complete reel to use as they see fit.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Bill --

The D.A.M. Quick Supers came in (3) models -- and yes, they were all the same size.

Super is only applied to these reels -- not any others in the Quick lineup.

This is a large, very heavy duty spinning reel designed for salt water.  Simple, basic, over-engineered components.  These are great for casting or surf fishing.

The models were the basic 270, the 270 with a built in line counter, and a 275.  The 275 is fairly rare because it is a true 2-Speed reel with oversize bronze and steel gears.

These reels are fairly cheap, since few reel mechanics have the parts or experience to restore them.  And they do not look "modern".

Yes, anyone who is a member of this site would have first crack at any of the reels they might want -- prior to the show.  The loyalty has to be here first.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I can see my wallet getting lighter! ::)
Life is Good!

Bill Karr

Thanks Fred,
I may pick one up (both the "Super" and one of yours). I remember there was a good albacore bite in 1961 or 62. I'd done pretty well and a friend and his dad, neither of whom fished, wanted to go with me. The dad went out and bought 2 new Supers and 2 heavy rods. I remember standing next to them as all of use hooked up at the same time. My Squidder worked fine. Both of them snapped their line in about 5 seconds. Took them most of the day to loosen up the drag. Like most SoCal fisherman that just confirmed my bias against spinners! Now, however, I think I'd like to revisit the idea and since I like old stuff, may give it a try.
Bill

Alto Mare

You've put too much time into those, charge what's right , I believe you're too low. I didn't really see everything that you have, but I did notice a couple on top that would generate $100+. That 146 with the acuurate frame usually goes for $125 and so does that green 9.
If you want to just give them away, because that is what you are doing, that would be up to you, I'm sure someone would appreciate them, I hope.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.