Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

wish I would have found this when this started my guess of 60 plus would have been valid oh well I didn't discover the photo section until the end of this past January oh well looks like it is going to go to a great guy of coarse that could be everyone on here.

foakes

66 1/4 pounds...

Congratulations to BMitch!

Mitch is the official winner of the "Guess the Number of Penn Reels to be completed out of Spare Parts, old reels, and loose pieces".

55 are done -- and I could conceivably build another 5-8.

However, I am running out of time before the show tomorrow -- due to early Spring here in California, and lots of reels that I have been servicing.  This was just kind of an in-between fun job to break up the daily mix -- and to get some Penns ready to sell out of the loose ends.

So I will likely build out the others if I get a chance -- then just part out the rest, clean the parts -- and put them back in the bins for future repairs.  Can always use the parts.

Every reel has been completely disassembled, or put together from loose parts -- cleaned ultrasonically, CF with Cal's, Shimano Marine grease, syn oil, any broken or missing parts replaced with mostly new ones, adjusted for all functions, ready to fish.

This was a lot of fun and a bit of a challenge for me -- but it allowed me to see how other parts would interchange to make a solid reel that I would want to fish with.

I thought I knew a lot about these -- but I added quite a bit of knowledge about screws, gears, and easy systems for assembling quickly.  All useful.

It also allowed me to do the reels without using any schematics -- keeps one sharp.

I will have a little surprise for Mitch to go with the "plinthed DelMar".

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

All right!!! congratulations Bob ;).
Fred, they don't know how lucky they are buying your reels, thanks for the entertainment, I've enjoyed it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Fred, you were like a machine. I don't think I've overhauled/built that many reels in the past 5 years. It's an honor to be able to display your work in my home. When recieved pictures of appropriate placement will follow. Thanks Fred!

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

I'll get that plinth made up pronto. Congrats Bob! ;D
Life is Good!

bluefish69

Fred

Your incredible doing all those reels this fast. It just took me 8 days to finish a "99" size 500. The Wife keeps me busy with Momma Do things.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

txangler81

congrats Bob! Can't wait to see what else he sends you.
Dustin

harryk3616

fantastic  fred , great job the pictures and details were very entertaining, you have some arsenal now, good luck on the sales at the show,    and congrats to bmitch for the guess, we all enjoyed the adventure.

Aiala

Way t'go, Bob, enjoy your well-deserved prize!   :D

Fred, you are the Wizard of Reelz... I hope everybody who buys one of your rebuilt gems realizes what a bargain they are getting. Best of luck with the sale, and thanks for the fun contest; I don't believe anyone else on earth could've done it.  ;)
~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

broadway

Alright Bob, congrats Bro!
Fred, you're amazing at what you do and a real contributor to this site. Thanks for the motivation. ;)
Dom

newfuturevintage

Fred, thanks for taking us on the journey, this was a lot of fun to see!

Dominick

I'll drink to the "Wizard of reelz."  As a matter of fact I'll drink to anything (beat you all to it).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Up at 3:30 Saturday morning -- to attend the Sportsman Show in Fresno, as a Vendor --

Got to the gate at 5:10 -- they opened it up at 5:30 --

Got set up -- open to the public from 8 to 3 --

Very poor public turnout -- and less Vendors than usual --

Had over 200 reels which included Mitchell, Quick, Daiwa, Shimano, as well as 55 freshly completed Penns.

Only sold (1) 209 Penn -- 8 DAM Quicks -- (5) Mitchells -- (1) Shimano -- 8 Fenwick Rods --

However, I was very thankful to have done that much -- many Vendors sold little or nothing -- a few did OK -- and most packed up and left around 12:00 noon.

I did pack up early at 1:00 -- then went out looking for some bargains myself.

Spent $45 on a Penn 150 Surfmaster, a Jigmaster 500, (2) old Seagates, a Shimano AXULS tiny spinner, a Shakes Quantum XL0052 tiny spinner, and a very nice Shimano ultra light spinner, model MLX100 Quickfire in metal with ball bearings -- weighing 6.1 oz...They may look a little rough -- but will turn out well -- even the old Seagates have a good long free spool and no noises...

Also bought a new old Harnell 9' 2-piece fly rod -- with the old original cardboard tube and original sock.  Appears pristine and unused -- black with red, cork.  Paid $40 -- no idea on value -- might be what I paid more or less -- just know they are a high quality Rod -- and beautiful.  Put it together today -- fantastic action.

So, got some bargains which I will completely overhaul -- over the next few days and post a couple of pics --

Other positives were a good number of folks who want their gear serviced and repaired -- handed out quite a few cards.

Also, if anyone has any of the older original Penns -- and would like to trade one for one of the Seagates, after I overhaul it -- let me know.  I have a Seaford and a Seagate now -- just looking to make a display of the early years.  

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Fred, that bench looked very inviting.
Sorry to hear that business was slow, I can only imagine how much work it was to pack and repack those reels.
They lost out on some great reels, if only they knew what they were getting ::).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Now that's what I call making the best of it.  Fred, you're the epidemy of that old addage, "A rolling stone gathers no moss."
The only thing better than selling a Penn reel is buying a Penn reel ;)
Have fun bringing those old sea gates to life, its amazing how well they shine up with some TLC.
Nice display and selection,
Dom