Tiagra 80W alert ratchet issues

Started by Toddkfly, November 03, 2014, 08:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toddkfly

Not sure if anyone else has had this similar issue but just opened up two new Tiagra 80W's for a charter captain and both had the alert ratchets loose with screws just bouncing around.  The holes on the spool showed where screws were being pulled after they have been loosened.  Was pretty dissapointed in seeing this, especially since they were brand new this year and only fished for a few months for wahoo.  Will try and upload some pics.

foakes

Hi Todd --

That sure is weird.

3 or 4 possibilities how this happened -- none good...

Do you think the screws will tighten snug -- or do you need to use some loctite?

Any damage from the loose screws to the gears, plate or spool?

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

That is very disappointing to see. I've never seen that happen on any Tiagra since they use (or supposed to) blue Loctite on those screws. Even with greased screws I haven't seen it. It shouldn't happen

I have seen the screws on an International main gear back out and lock up the reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

lacking a little quality control.  it happens.....    :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Toddkfly

No loctite on the screws.  The gears looked to be in good shape so think we caught it just in time.  A couple of the screw holes were in rough shape but cleaned the burs out and everything seated well.  Did tell the owner to log a call with Shimano just to put it on record.   The grease shimano uses is a little thin so may have been part of the problem.  I was also not happy with drag washer wear.  Outer edges were fraying more than I have seen on other Tiagras.

TechTeach

They running Planers on these for Wahoo?

If so, no excuse,  but that could explain it. Those planers pull a lot of drag.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

shanara

This problem is not unheard of with tiagras, I have owned 7 of various sizes and this happened to a 4 year old 30wlrs.In this case 3 of the 4 screws had come loose due to stripped threads, so I re tapped the holes to m3 and put in corresponding m3 screws, I think this issue is mentioned elsewhere on this website for the 30wlrs.The reels have been faultless in every other way over the past 18 years.