surf fishing

Started by txangler81, November 04, 2014, 05:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

Just a quick question. How many lines in the water is to many? I grew up fishing for catfish in stock tanks/ponds depending on where you are from, and we would use as many rods as we could.

Shark Hunter

Simple answer. How many can you reel in at once. ;)
When I Shark Fish. I only use one Big reel at a time. Maybe another spinner out for baitfish. If you get multiple runs, you stand the chance of losing one. I am not willing to take that chance.
Unless you have enough people to help.
Life is Good!

bluefish69

I have a 50 Gal. tank & only fish 2 poles at once. I cast from the other room around corners. It's tuff but I do it.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

I have a 55 in the Kitchen, but I can't say I've ever fished it Mike. :D
Life is Good!

Bill B

If you are surf fishing (ocean) in California you can only use two rods, assuming you have a two rod stamp (yeah, Calif found a way to capitalize on our greediness), I would cast one far out in to the surf and then use a small rod for perch in the close in.....I would recommend a bell on the big rod and tied to a stake, not your rod holder, to keep it from doing the water ski to oblivion while your distracted with the small stuff....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 18, 2014, 09:41:02 AM
Say What?
A Rod Stamp!

Yeah here you have to have an add on to your fishing license to have 2 rods.

Aiala

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on November 18, 2014, 11:49:40 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 18, 2014, 09:41:02 AM
Say What?
A Rod Stamp!
Yeah, here you have to have an add-on to your fishing license to have 2 rods.

Not only that, but your fishing license is only good until the end of December, no matter when it's purchased. So unless you buy it in the beginning of January, you're basically getting shorted.  :P

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

DaBigOno

Not to mention you also need a "salt water" enhancement sticker with your fishing license if you want to fish in the California ocean.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bryan Young

Quote from: Dabigono on November 18, 2014, 04:06:58 PM
Not to mention you also need a "salt water" enhancement sticker with your fishing license if you want to fish in the California ocean.
Only if you fish south of Pt. Conception.  We don't have a salt water enhancement sticker up north.  Discovered this fishing in perch tournaments.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cwillis85

That sounds like what Colorado was doing before I moved, second rod stamps and license expired on a set date. Thank goodness I moved to Florida where I can fish as many poles as I dare.
Chris

maxpowers

Just to clear up the misconception, you can fish as many rods as you want in the surf or on your own boat.  The two rods stamp is mostly for freshwater fishing.  However if you are fishing from a public pier or jetty, you can only fish 2 rods or if you are lobstering/crabbing, you can only fish 1 rod if you have 1 pot in.  If you have 2 pots in you cannot fish any longer.  This applied throughout Southern California south of Pt Conception.  The Ocean Enhancement stamp is mostly related to the white seabass and other restocking efforts.  It really is a very small amount.  What sucked though is that it used to be if you did not fish freshwater or saltwater, you can just buy the basic fishing license and add the necessary stamps.  Now the license is good for all waters even if you do not fish freshwater or saltwater at all.

DaBigOno

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 18, 2014, 04:19:01 PM

Only if you fish south of Pt. Conception.  We don't have a salt water enhancement sticker up north.  Discovered this fishing in perch tournaments.

You're right Bryan... I never thought about it like that because I never fish north of point Conception, too cold...

Quote from: maxpowers on November 18, 2014, 06:41:53 PM

The Ocean Enhancement stamp is mostly related to the white seabass and other restocking efforts.  It really is a very small amount. 

To get the ocean enhancement stamp is a total of $52...

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

I pay $48 a year for a non-resident Florida License. I've never been checked, but I don't fish without it. ;)
Life is Good!

maxpowers

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 18, 2014, 08:23:09 PM
I pay $48 a year for a non-resident Florida License. I've never been checked, but I don't fish without it. ;)

That's a good deal.  CA resident license is like $54 before additional stamps.  The nonresident license is really outrageous.