CT conversion or dual bearing worm gear

Started by bigpoppa, November 05, 2014, 04:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpoppa

I was wondering which is better for a 5500, the dual bearing worm gear or CT conversion.  The reel would be used for catfishin, If that helps. Thanks for any info.

Josh Smith

Hello,

What's the CT Conversion?

I'm a huge fan of bearings on the worm gear.  If I'm throwing heavy lures only, I prefer bushings on the spool, but I consider bearing support on the worm gear a must.

Regards,

Josh

GulfOfBothnia

In CT reel the level wind mechanism has been completely removed.
In CT conversion the bar where top of levelwind runs is removed and solid bar is put in place of worm gear.

Josh Smith

OH, OK.  I wondered.  I never knew what it was called!

If you're looking to get distance, I guess that would be the thing to do.  I'm solely freshwater and have no need to cast beyond 30 yards or so.

With complete bearing conversions, I can fire a 1/2oz weight to 40-50 yards, depending on the day.  This is measured on my shooting range.

The furthest I've ever caught a bass was 30 yards out, further than I can set monofilament reliably.  I never would have tried this before super braids.

So I guess it depends on Bigpoppa's use, right?  If it's freshwater, my opinion is that one should run bearings on the worm gear and polish said worm gear and pawl.  (I've not used ceramic pawls so I can't have an opinion on them.)

If it's saltwater or distances further than typical bass and walleye fishing differences, I'll have to defer to you saltwater fishermen.

Regards,

Josh

bigpoppa

I reel will be used for catfishing, and depending on where I go it would be nice to get more distance. So would distance be the only plus to doing the ct conversion.

Fish-aholic

A CT conversion will help your thumb in having greater grip of the spool for casting. It also helps with easier access for picking out any mishaps, ahem, birds nests.  ;D

If you choose the CT route I would recommend purchasing a designated CT cage over installing a replacement conversion bar merely because you can always revert back to the level wind cage if the CT is not to your liking. A CT conversion bar is a permanent fixture after the use of a hacksaw to the stock cage. ;)   

Josh Smith

BP, as I understand it, you have to manually guide the line back on if you don't use the level-wind, which makes sense.

I would just start with a good polish job and ditch the levelwind only if you don't like the distance you're getting with it.

Regards,

Josh