Spring Loaded Dogs on a Lever Drag Reel?

Started by sundaytrucka, November 06, 2014, 03:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I was wondering if that is a used application on some lever drag reels? I am not familiar with many designs, mainly the Avet line, even then I do not have thorough enogh knowledge of the design to come up with a conclusion whether a lever drag reel can sustain spring loaded dogs and not affect freespool...

On designs that use the Abu type dog AR, is it possible to add a spring and make spring loaded dogs? Are there any designs that currently use spring loaded, or are they abu or mechanised anti-reverse systems? Avet and Okuma AR for example.

I am going to get a Fathom 25NLD 2-speed and wanted to know of it would be possible. For those asking, I cannot leave "well enough" alone.

Thanks, Scott.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

handi2

There are many, many lines of lever drag reels that have spring actuated dogs. The dogs do not effect freespool...

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

On lever drag reels, the spools are normally free floating and the dogs are normally associated with the drag components like the Avets, Penns, etc. or the drive assembly, like the older Avets and Release Reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sundaytrucka

Ok, thank you for the feedback. I assumed it was possible, but have not seen enough enough LD internals to have confidence on the mechanical workings and a modification.

Something about hearing the dogs click, just makes me feel better.

Thanks...I will post pics when I get the reel and attempt the upgrade (if structurally possible), I will fish it a couple of times stock before I mod it.

Thanks again guys!

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Bryan Young

Many lever drag reels that use anti-reverse pawl have pretty solid designs as long as they are not using the abu type pawl design .
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D