New Bearings

Started by Stan, November 07, 2014, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

My new Abec 5 bearings came yesterday from Dawn, (Thanks, Dawn) and I have a question.  I'm replacing all of the bearings in two TLD-20s and two Avet MXLs.  All of the bearings , which are shielded, are labeled as "greased", including the spool bearings. Do I install them "as is", or is there something else I should do?  I use these reels mostly for trolling and live baiting, so I am not looking for maximum casting distance.

Thanks!

akfish

If you need the very best free spool for fishing small live baits, then the recommendation is to remove the shields o the spool bearings and lube them with something like TS1 301. However, for most people, the new bearings you get from Dawn will fish just fine right out of the box. My recommendation is to install them as is and see how you like the free spool. You can always go back and remove the shields. One issue with TSI: It doesn't last long so without very frequent service, the bearings will rust or corrode.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

handi2

Since you are not casting just they are fine. Just make sure to pack the pinion bearings with grease. The new bearings have little grease inside. Those are the bearings that get rusted and ruined the most on lever drag reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bucktail

Quote from: akfish on November 07, 2014, 03:33:16 PM
One issue with TSI: It doesn't last long so without very frequent service, the bearings will rust or corrode.

I thought one of the good things about TSI is that it does last. ???
Just a jig-a-lo

Fish-aholic

Quote from: Bucktail on November 07, 2014, 06:43:38 PMI thought one of the good things about TSI is that it does last. ???

From my long distance surf casting experiences using the pure lubricant version (TSI 321), I can vouch for it's last ability.

I have a Penn 525 mag which I fully serviced and made a note of the date completed. I tested the spool spin times with a spool full of line taped down and the mag unit removed for total unhindered free spool. Once the open SS spool bearings were cleaned and lubed with TSI 321, I had buttoned up the reel to make a note of the free spool times achieved. The spool spun from start to finish having noted times slightly exceeding the 2 minute barrier.

As a long distance surf caster, I usually have to clean and reapply TG's rocket fuel every 100-120 casts before the free spool performance times had tapered off hampering casting distances. The spool bearings also have a noticeable increase in noise. With TSI 321 I made a point in not servicing the spool bearings until casting distance became hampered - or bearings became noisy. In the end, and as much as I wanted to clean and re-lubricate, my reel had in fact lasted a full season. I'd like to add this was without any contamination.

After this prolonged use (8 months) I had tested the spool spin times again and noted a loss of about 15 seconds. Once I pulled the spool bearings out to check them, they looked as clean as the day I last serviced them. From my findings, I'm more than happy with the last ability.

Fish-aholic

Getting back on topic and referring to the OP quote of: "Do I install them "as is", or is there something else I should do?"

I personally wouldn't place new bearings inside any reel without having been cleaned and lubricated accordingly by my own hands. I simply don't trust any bearing manufacturer to adequately lubricate them no matter who sells them. I see no point in cutting corners where being proactive can add to the bearings life span with proper lubrication before installation. It's best to have piece of mind ;)

RWS

Quote from: Fish-aholic on November 07, 2014, 11:53:40 PM
Quote from: Bucktail on November 07, 2014, 06:43:38 PMI thought one of the good things about TSI is that it does last. ???

From my long distance surf casting experiences using the pure lubricant version (TSI 321), I can vouch for it's last ability.

I have a Penn 525 mag which I fully serviced and made a note of the date completed. I tested the spool spin times with a spool full of line taped down and the mag unit removed for total unhindered free spool. Once the open SS spool bearings were cleaned and lubed with TSI 321, I had buttoned up the reel to make a note of the free spool times achieved. The spool spun from start to finish having noted times slightly exceeding the 2 minute barrier.

As a long distance surf caster, I usually have to clean and reapply TG's rocket fuel every 100-120 casts before the free spool performance times had tapered off hampering casting distances. The spool bearings also have a noticeable increase in noise. With TSI 321 I made a point in not servicing the spool bearings until casting distance became hampered - or bearings became noisy. In the end, and as much as I wanted to clean and re-lubricate, my reel had in fact lasted a full season. I'd like to add this was without any contamination.

After this prolonged use (8 months) I had tested the spool spin times again and noted a loss of about 15 seconds. Once I pulled the spool bearings out to check them, they looked as clean as the day I last serviced them. From my findings, I'm more than happy with the last ability.

Thanks for the info

SoCalAngler

I agree with repacking all non-spool bearings with grease. Most bearings that come new and say that their greased they are but not fully packed inside of the bearing. To pack use a small bearing packer if you have one, if not like me I remove one of the sheilds and finger pack the bearing. I replace the sheilds and install the bearings.

EDIT: I should of stated I also clean out the grease in my non-spool bearings, even brand new bearings, and repack them with a grease I like and know it lasts.

Also any reel I will flyline live bait with I remove the sheilds from one side of the spool bearings. I then clean out the grease that came in the bearings with brake or carb cleaner. I then lube them with TSI 321 or if you don't have it use any thin reel oil like Corossion X or what ever you like. I install the bearings with the unsheilded side out or which way it is easiest to reoil them in the future.

As far as the TSI 321 I have used it two seasons in my reels and have not noticed any loss of freespool or any type of rust or corrosion on my spool bearings. I don't do long distance shore casting and my reels don't get dunked for the most part but they have been hit by many days of hard spray and the occasional over zealous deckhands wash down hose several times when they are cleaning the boat. I do service my reels once a year but have not needed to relube my spool bearings as of yet.

Ruffy

Hi everyone, I need to buy some drag washers from dawn and was going to pick up a pinion bearing for a tld 15 as mine is rusted.

Does anyone know (or can Dawn please chime in) as to whether or not the shields can be removed and refitted on her ABEC5 SS bearings to allow packing without a packer?

Cheers,
Andrew

Dawn

The shields can be removed.

Dawn
Dawn