Braid as leader

Started by barrabob, November 06, 2014, 04:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrabob

I am in the process of replacing the 80# mono leaders on my trolling feathers and was wondering if I can use braid instead.  I have a spool of 90# braid and it is much easier to tie than the thicker 80# mono.  Is this a good idea or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,
bob

Shark Hunter

The Braid can get cut through prettily easily. It is strong, but not very abrasion resistant. I wouldn't.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I recommend using double sleeved aluminum crimps.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FatTuna

I agree that crimping is the way to go on all of the heavier mono and flouro. It's quick, cheap, and easy.

I wouldn't use braid as a leader. It gets cut easily if it rubs against anything abrasive and it is more visible. Also, if you are fishing for large fish, which it sounds like you are, it is dangerous to grab a braid leader as it can cut you.

I use flourocarbon a lot of the time. It's expensive but it has less memory, is less visible, and is more abrasion resistant then mono. If you don't want to spend the extra dough on flouro, mono is a good alternative and will do the job just fine.

Tiddlerbasher

If the water is murky I would use Kevlar hollow braid on whatever backing you fancy - particularly if toothy critters are about. For European pike, zander (wall eye) and cat fish I now only use Kevlar braid  - no more wire leaders. Better bait and lure presentation - much more flexible.

handi2

Hey Bob,

I'm not sure what type of fish you are targeting. Most of my fishing time is blue water trolling and we always use mono for leaders on all of our rigs. I used Flurocabon in the past but found that was not necessary on the trolling rigs.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Makule

Agree with what Sharkhunter and fatstriper said about abrasion resistance (lack of).  Also, braid is more visible, and since it's quite a bit thinner, will more easily cut your hand if you need to grab the leader to bring up a fish that's jumping all around.  With a big enough fish, it'll even cut through gloves.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.