Permit Insanity

Started by Rare, November 08, 2014, 04:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rare

The keys bridges for fishing is a special place to me. Something about being out there for 2/3days sleeping on the bridge and fishing with your buds that puts me at easy from the everyday task. What can be caught out there on these bridge are, muttons,cero macks, macks, cobia, grey snapper, jacks, permit, grouper, sharks, etc. On this short day we where targeting permit. The way the permit hitting and fighting, the bud called it the runaway train. Ive never had a permit pull that much, that hard & did everything it could to break me off. I had to chase the fish maybe 2/3 city blocks to fight him hard. Even then he wasnt giving up. This 29lb Permit gave me a run & a memory for life. I almost lost the fish too, with the amount of pressure i was putting on the permit, i snapped the gamakatsu hooks, Luck for me he was on the bridge net already- here on out it's 2x to 4x hooks for these guys.

harryk3616

handi2

That is one heck of a fight from a bridge. Hats off to you..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ZaneG

Nice fish. Permit fishing from a bridge is no joke.

I used to love fishing those bridges. Channel 2, 5 , Long key all have a fond spot in my memory. Seeing fish lined-up under the bridge would be all you needed to keep you going for days.

FatTuna

Hey ZaneG did you used to live in the keys? I might be moving down there soon.

Shark Hunter

Good Job Rare! That thing is Huge! :o
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

Looks like I need to move further south.

otownjoe

wallacewt

MFB

Well done, I use 8/0 gamakatsu circle hooks & have never had any problems with them though.

Rgds

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ZaneG

No a couple hours north near Fort Lauderdale.

Rare

Quote from: MFB on November 09, 2014, 02:00:27 AM
Well done, I use 8/0 gamakatsu circle hooks & have never had any problems with them though.

Thanks guys!

This was a 7/0 if i'm not mistaken cause i was using a bigger blue crab that i caught at the bay. I checked around and it seems i wasnt the only one this has happened. One of the trips i took out to the Dry tortugas in Keys west the same thing happen, but this time i lost the fish as the hook came back the same.  I still use their hooks & this week when i head back to Jurassic Park aka Dry Tortugas, i will still use the same brand but 4x to battle the muttons and groupers 

spottybastard

That's an awesome catch!  Are those things edible?