repairing a spool from k. gleason

Started by alantani, October 02, 2010, 04:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Hello Alan,

I hope this email finds you and yours well.  I need to replace a spool in one of my 113HLW's that I troll for Albacore with.  The clicker 'gear' that is press-fit to the axel of the spool has come loose (never had that happen) and 'floats' on the Axel.  Sometimes there is a clicker . . . most times not.  Upon inspection the upper surface that would be the flat of the gear-top/axel is slightly galled, the gear slides on and off the Axel with zero effort.  I think the gear is getting 'catty-wompus' and is 'missing' the clicker pawl.  GOTTA have the clicker when trolling!!  

Per Penparts.com, the part number is:  29L-113HLW Spool, Aluminum (Black)
Sold_By: EA
Fits Penn Model Number: 113HLW
PRICE: $42.00

I know you have a great supply of Penn parts Alan, If you have a spool for my 113HLW: I would RATHER give you the business than anyone else!  Do you have one of these?  Thanks in advance and tight lines Alan,  Kevin Gleason

kevin, i've got a spool, but i'd rather have a welder tack it down.  got time to swing by next week?

Hi Alan,

I spoke with Jon this afternoon and he stated he had spoken to you regarding the spool as well.  Upon your (obvious . . . but completely missed by me) recommendation of a tack weld (Doh! . . . Thanks!), I surfed up 'welders in Fremont Ca' and found 6 inside of 2 miles.  Allrightfinethen . . . I went to 3 of them.  None of them wanted to tack weld on the backside (towards the spool) of the clicker gear owing to the geometry of the welding heads and the space allotted.   I told them under NO circumstances (unless they wanted to fly-cut/mill it flat after spot-welding) can they weld and leave any goobers to interfere with the mating surface to the left side spool bearing.  Obtusely enough . . . EACH one of them recommended DevCon Titanium 5 Steel Epoxy to eliminate the problem permanently.  And even more obtusely (to me) they ALL got it at OSH.  Three strikes and oddly enough . . . three runs as well.    Duh?  WTF/O?  Ouch . . . Brain-Cramp.  Fine.  $ 4.71 with tax @ OSH and gone.  Cleaned the area up and applied an nice fillet behind and between the gear/axel.  Cleaned the overage off with a Q-Tip and Alcohol.    The epoxy is for Steel: is +200 to - 60 degree operating range, non flammable, water-proof, something stupid like 25,000PSI per square inch (for a CLICKER gear . . . for God's sake) and so forth.  MAX overkill . . . Sounds about right.  Tall building is a single bound kinda stuff.  I am more than happy to report back to you and Jon regarding how this stuff works in this application.  I **WILL** get one more shot at the Alberts this year if I have to tow EP to "X" (Dangit).  Boy . . . what a great fix!  I hope 3 out of 3 are right Alan!  Please forward this to Jon as I completely screwed up on his EM address.  He wanted to be kept informed as to how the repair worked in actual service.  He is one Hella-Good young man Alan: a VERY nice person and has a wide band-width of knowledge.   Thank you both for 'tag-teaming' this reel repair.  Thanks as always Alan and tight lines Sir!  Kevin

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!