Jigmaster Issues

Started by Rancanfish, November 10, 2014, 11:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I've been doing a few things to get the Jigmasters up to speed, and find I now have very little handle spin while in gearl on the 501s that I upgraded with Accurate frames and Challenger spacers.  I re-assemble, spin the handle and get a turn and a half while in gear.  I keep swapping bushing caps, loosening and re-tightening frame screws, checking the lube and pffffft.

Meanwhile the 500s and the modern 500 spin beautiful.  I'm not a complete rook, but boy I'm confused right now.  I'm gonna give myself a bald spot if I keep scratching my head.  

Also, any trick to getting the sideplate thumbscrew spring back on?  It came off / out during the multitude of breakdowns and I can't get it back in.  ( Scratch that question, found the tiny threaded retainer on the screw. )

Ok I swapped the original spacers back in, voila! Handles spin good again.  I don't know why but they didn't work for me??

THIS HAS BEEN EDITED FOR MY INCORRECT USE OF FREESPOOL WHEN MEANING HANDLE SPINNING .  Sorry.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

maxpowers

Check to see if you have excess grease in the bearings.  Also make sure your spindles are cleaned of any grease.

Rancanfish

Thanks Max, but I just edited my post. Spacers bind everything up, and I'm not going to try to machine them to make them work.  Great idea but I don't want more issues to fix.  I can fish these reels for salmon and not have any problems in regular mode anyway.

Alto Mare

Spacer doesn't have anything to do with freespool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

I just took them out and everything works again.  Not saying you are wrong, I'm saying I couldn't make them work.

I'm not you  ;D

Help me out here.  Is the spacer supposed to turn with the handle?  Am I supposed to lube the spacer?  If the spacer is too tall will that create issues?  Didn't you mention grinding them to size on a related thread?

I'm going to shut up and let the pro's figure out my mistakes.  I think I'm making assumptions and don't want to disparage a fine product.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 11, 2014, 12:42:02 AM
I just took them out and everything works again.  Not saying you are wrong, I'm saying I couldn't make them work.

I'm not you  ;D

Help me out here.  Is the spacer supposed to turn with the handle?  Am I supposed to lube the spacer?  If the spacer is too tall will that create issues?  Didn't you mention grinding them to size on a related thread?

I'm going to shut up and let the pro's figure out my mistakes.  I think I'm making assumptions and don't want to disparage a fine product.

Were all your Jigmaster having the same issue with the spacer?

Rancanfish

fIsHsTiiCkS

Wait you sayin the sleeve spacer seemed to be and issue?

Alto Mare

Your issue is simply with the height of the spacer. The spacer  that Alan has now works on most reels,  but too tall for others, this is why he's also making us shorter ones. If you have the thick belleville on top of the stack, replace it with the original tension spring from penn and it should cure your problem.

Alan, are the shorter spacers due in?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

I believe he is talking about the new SS bars (spacers) for the frame. With the new bars installed it's binding the spool and/or reel. With the original bars installed it works fine. Never mind the above..!

And the other spacer (spacing sleeve) is binding on the gear sleeve.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

Sal, How would you suggest reducing the spacer height? I loved the fit and would use them if I could figure a simple way to adjust them.

Handl2 - Not talking about spacer bars.  ( Ok, you corrected.)

But my thought was maybe the spacer is binding on the gear sleeve, which is why I was asking if it was supposed to rotate.