Veterans Day... bones in the skinny

Started by Tightlines667, November 13, 2014, 06:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

After years of thinking about it, I finally tore myself away from the workbench and headed out to one of Oahu's shoreline-accessable flats on Veterans Day.  I spent 4 hours wading and sight fishing for Bonefish around the low tide.  I don't have a suitable fly rod so I used an 8.5' Okuma travel rod, w/Stella 4000SW.  I used small split shots, or casting bubbles married to locally tied bonefish flys.   I had shots at over a dozen bones, but no takers.  I switched to a crystal minnow and caught 3 Papio, 1 Weke, 1 Roy, and lost a nice fish to the reef after a pretty good blistering run.  I also had a few cute ~4' Black-tip a Reefs come and pay me a visit.  All in all a pretty enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.  I may have to give this spot and stalk style fishing another go.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Great pics John!
That looks like a perfect spot to Kayak some baits out! ;)
I am going to make it a point to go fishing on Veteran's Day next year. ;D
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Thanks for the report John!

Look like stay raining mauka side... And sunny makai side.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

foakes

Great report, John --

How appropriate to be able to do this on Veterans Day -- a day honoring the service and sacrifice all Veterans have made -- allowing us to have days such as these, to freely enjoy our pursuit of happiness.

Thank you,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.