850SS FINALLY ARRIVED

Started by basto, November 14, 2014, 04:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Well it was in transit from west coast to east coast 3 times due to an incorrect address, so 2 weeks later it`s here.
Best part is I got 2 spools with it, and yes it has the yellow main gear.
The gear pivot looks to be chromed bronze and is in good shape.
I will take it apart tonight and clean it all up.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Shark Hunter

Look forward to the refurb Basto! ;D
Life is Good!

cwillis85

Chris

basto

Interesting that Penn had an aluminium occilating gear in the 850 and a brass one for the 8500, but did the opposite for the main gears.
I still think the brass main gear in the 850 is wasted when combined with the weak gear pivot.

I cleaned and greased the bearings, but still seems to be a lot of resistance when turning the handle. The reel had some dried very fine brown silt in it. Everything else is good except a broken a/r switch.
More work to do yet.
Basto

Shark Hunter

I noticed the same thing in my 650 and 6500. The aluminum cross wind gear and the brass main. I switched the two, so I would have all brass in one and all aluminum in the other.
Life is Good!

basto

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 15, 2014, 02:30:44 AM
I noticed the same thing in my 650 and 6500. The aluminum cross wind gear and the brass main. I switched the two, so I would have all brass in one and all aluminum in the other.
Yes, that`s great if you can swap things about. I tried putting the gear pivot from my 7500 in the 850, but no go.
I feel more confident with the later model because it has a reliable gear pivot and I have never had a problem with the aluminium main gear.
Basto

Shark Hunter

We learn as we go Basto. ;)
I have five 9500's now and two of them have the aluminum gears. Just cleaning them up, I am either going to put the brass gears in them or sell them. That metal is way soft. Cleaning them up with the dremel, I noticed they are fragile compared to the Brass. JMO
With all the design changes in these reels, some aluminum gears may be better than others, but the gear in the sand trap was pretty soft when I hit it with a fine dremel wheel. It started taking some serious metal off the backside of the gear. I did it by hand with emery cloth after that.
Someone might have changed these gears out with an inferior set. I just know, I want the brass/bronze if I can get them.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: basto on November 15, 2014, 06:34:50 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 15, 2014, 02:30:44 AM
Yes, that`s great if you can swap things about. I tried putting the gear pivot from my 7500 in the 850, but no go.
I feel more confident with the later model because it has a reliable gear pivot and I have never had a problem with the aluminium main gear.
Basto
The aluminum crosswind gear will do fine and so will the main gear, but don't compare them to the brass gears, those are much stronger. If you take a peek at Scotts, there is lots of information there on pivots, I believe the later pivot for the 650-750/850 are made of stainless steel. A lot of changes went into these reels as we move along, if you're lucky, you could even find a real early 750 with a stainless steel pinion ;). Spinners are not conventional, keeping the rod tip up when fighting a nice size fish will help the gears.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Sounds like someone needs to talk Alan C. into making some ss gear sets for these bad boys!!

basto

Well, I got some parts in from Scotts yesterday and have now got my 6500, 7500 and 850 to a very good working condition.
I think these are great spin reels and are among my favourites from the past. 
cheers
Basto

Alto Mare

They look great Basto! I still fish those today, there is always one or two on my boat. If you decide to fish them, try the latest drag upgrade that Wallace showed us, the reel feels amazingly smooth. Just add a Delrin under the spool and one on top, as I'm showing on one of my few posts ;D.
Thanks for sharing, I really like gold and black.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Thanks Sal.  I like the gold and black too.
Basto

mhc

They look good for their age Basto, the spools don't look like they have seen much work. I notice you have the handles on the right hand side (like I do) - I'm not sure why a lot of people seem to to use left hand side handles on spinners and right hand side for conventional reels.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Bryan Young

Very nice SS team you got there Basto.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D