JESUS CLIPS AND THE PROFANITY REDUCTION UNIT

Started by LTM, November 16, 2014, 06:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Guys and Gals,

When I was very young, I worked for a short time as an automotive dynomometer tune-up technician. This is when I was introduced to "Jesus-clips" on carburetors. Those are those little clips you have to gently pop/pry off. If your not careful they fly off into the twilight zone never to be found again; very similar to the little e-clips/retainers/springs on reels. We called them Jesus-clips cause one would say "Jesus where the blank did that clip go?"

Anywho, I've finally come up with a solution to when I'm vacuuming the area where I do my projects and suck up parts (tired of cussing and cutting open vacuum bags to no avail). Now when I vacuum I just install my PRU. I had some "no-see-um" netting (fine bug netting for camping) around and cut some to make a "trap" like pocket that I place in between one of the sections of tubing (anywhere before the hose portion). Now when I hear that disturbing noise of parts rattling up the vacuum, I just turn it off and remove the PRU and collect whatever part that was sucked-up. It doesn't eliminate loosing the part or the swearing at the time; but it does eliminate swearing when I vacuum the area. If you don't have some bug netting you might get by with some nylon window screen material if the cells are small enough. If only I could have found a simple solution as this to cursing when I was doing precision rifle shooting!

Remember to install the PRU before using the vacuum, otherwise its back to more "bleep, bleep"!!

Leo

MFB

Sometimes if your lucky, you can catch them on the 3rd bounce. ;D If not a magnet can work if you know the approximate area. I always thought they were called Jesus clips because you spend a lot of time on your knees trying to find them.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

bluefish69

You can cut up your Wife's Panty Hose for this purpose.

I won't tell if you don't.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

For those of you old enough to remember, this is where to look for all of your e-clips, c-clips, dog springs, and any other tiny parts --

"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone."

This dimension is where all e-clips, c-clips, dog springs, and other small parts go to live...

At a previous shop, I had a low-pile shag rug.  When we moved, I ran a magnet on two wheels over every inch of the carpet twice -- after clearing the room -- and prior to vacuuming.  This is the magnet on wheels you get at Harbor Freight  or Grangers, for cleaning up nails and screws at a job site.  Found dozens of parts -- mostly e-clips and dog springs.  The PRU netting in the vac hose is a clever idea.  If attached to a shop vac, maybe one could also adhere some sort of magnet to a metal screen -- that way, all one would need to do is run the vacuum a couple of times a month -- pull out the screen with the magnet -- and replenish your inventory.

Now in one of my shops, I have those burgundy all weather runners with rubber backing covering the entire floor.  In my upstairs shop inside the house, I have a smooth oak wood floor.

I still buy springs and clips in bulk -- just don't have the time to look when in the middle of a service job.  Just like nails and screws on a jobsite -- can't afford to have your carpenters getting down off of the ladder every time they drop a nail -- just keep the job moving.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.