Alternating dogs in a 99 accurate

Started by mhc, November 16, 2014, 09:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I have assembled a 99 size accurate jigmaster with Pro Challenger double dog stainless bridge, eccentric jack, yoke and 5:1 gear set (from Dawn at smoothdrag). I like the idea of less back-play in the handle so tried shortening the shorter 'bent' dog that comes with the bridge.

I had bought a pair of gold accuplates with no particular reel in mind until Randy at Vintage Offshore Tackle sold me a gold 99 frame and spool. All it needed now was Bryan's 5 + 1 drag kit, Alan T's handle and 3/0 grip and an AT stainless gear sleeve 98-505AT from Scott's along with a few Penn parts - drag star 10-505-BS, eccentric ,spring and lever, and clutch springs.

Partially assembled;

And fully assembled;

I have ordered a few spare 'bent' dogs for the Alan C bridges so that I can change between simultaneous and alternating engagement of the dogs.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nicely done! I was actually looking at doing something very similar with Black Pearl's bridge plate! How's it feel?

Alto Mare

Good job! I might be wrong, but that spacer doesn't look like Black Pearl's, gears will definitely fail without it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

mhc

Thanks Sal, you're right it's a std spacer, the thicker Black Pear spacers don't fit in the accurate plate that I have (not even close) which made me think the std spacer would be tight enough to give some lateral support. I have photographed the spacer in place with Alan's spacer supplied with the gear set beside it;

Fishticks - thanks, I haven't spooled it yet but just playing with it there is obviously less back-play but, to be honest, I'm not sure if it is worth the sacrifice in strength that the opposing simultaneous dogs give. I guess it depends on what we use it for, that's why I have ordered the extra dogs so I can switch back if I ever make up my mind  :-\

Tiddlerbasher - thanks, I'm just taking advantage of all the parts available due to the innovation and development generated by members of this site.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

Yes I believe you, I've seen it before. I guess I just got lucky with mine, Alan's fits perfectly

sorry its not a clear shot.

About the bridge, one day I was in need of a 98-60AT and couldn't get one, so I decided to use the 98-155AT on the Jigmaster. Some might say that the ratchet is too small, but that sleeve did just fine and the back-play was less.
Sal

Here is a pic of the two side by side
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

QuoteYes I believe you, I've seen it before. I guess I just got lucky with mine, Alan's fits perfectly

Some people have all the luck!  ;)

Just an idea since there is a shortage of 98-60 ss sleeves. When Alan reorders more maybe try adding more teeth to the racket. Might help with back play. Just an idea.

alantani

yeah, thought about increasing, maybe even doubling, the number of teeth, but it needs a certain amount of contact area and the teeth would end up being to shallow.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I believe they would be ok, as long as they're stainless steel. Tom did increase the teeth on his last ones he made, but only by one, I don't see any problems adding 3 or 4 more. I already spoke to someone about it a while back, but he doesn't want to do it yet. I'm also looking to secure the sleeve with a "C" clip on top instead of the pin, but that would also mean a smooth shaft and a new handle nut...maybe one day. :-\

Tightlines667

I like your C clip idea Sal.  Should help to smooth out the drag even more then using just the Delron undergear washer.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Thanks Sal. I will now change mine too. I like the alternating dogs. It's not going to fail using one...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

This is not a criticism -- far from it...

Just an ironic observation --

With all of the upgrades we are doing in Stainless Steel to our Penns -- SS gears, sleeves, bridges, springs, c clips, yokes, jacks, twistless double cross posts, power handles, dogs, stands, smoother drags, and more -- pretty soon we will be close to where Carl Newell was 30 years ago.

A life too short...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Criticism is good Fred, especially coming from you. With the many upgrades we've been doing here, I never forget who the real masters were, they worked for Penn. Too bad they didn't teach their kids how its done, that's one of the reason we do upgrades today ;). I'll personally take an older reel instead of a new one of today, but that's just me :-\.