Tungsten Disulfide/WS2?

Started by whalebreath, October 04, 2010, 06:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

Just rec'd an email from a source who's 'bigging up' Tungsten Disulfide as suitable for reel lubricant-I wonder if anyone here has had any experience with the stuff.

TIA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten%28IV%29_sulfide

Bryan Young

Only info is from the "ReelSchematic" website.  Personally, I'm into dry lubricants.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Phinaddict

Hmmm... I tried to read the Wiki page, but man, that's tough to read. Is it in English? Or is it because I went to public schools in California?

I'm always looking to for the "next best thing" but maybe going old school is the way to go.
I'm going to try bacon grease.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

whalebreath

Quote from: Phinaddict on October 05, 2010, 01:15:45 AMI'm always looking to for the "next best thing" but maybe going old school is the way to go.
I'm going to try bacon grease.
Bacon grease might work in warm sunny California.

Back in Northern Ontario I used to fish with a Guy who was so cheap he wouldn't spend $0.25 for a jar of vaseline for his Crown Planet Junior spincaster-he decided to use margarine instead since there was a jar @ home.

The first time we went fishing the temperature dropped and-you guessed it-his reel froze up good.  ;D

reelgood

I used to put an oil with molybdenum disulfide into the rear drive of my Moto Guzzi (this is per their specification) but don't think it has any place in a fishing reel except maybe in a drag that gets and stays hot for a long time.  The tungsten disulfide will behave in a similar fashion being somewhat chemically/structurally related to MoS2, but I know moly should be kept away from plastic/metal interfaces so watch it depending on your reel internals.

alantani

i think most people have settled on a teflon-based grease for drag washers.  for other parts, the main attribute required for any grease is to prevent the formation of salt crystals and corrosion.  it's easy enough to test.  just spread grease out on a piece of plain iron and spray it with salt water daily, letting it bake in the sun and see which greases fail first.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!