Homemade surf cart

Started by Alto Mare, November 16, 2014, 01:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Last week I went out and did a little surf fishing, carrying all of my gear wasn't easy, so i decided to put a little something together.
Since we got hit with some unusual cold  weather I thought it was a good idea to fire up my wood burning stove and go to work on my project.
Toast is almost done and coffee just about done as well ;D

I had some tires from my old lawn mower that I decided to hold on to, I also had some 1" conduit leftover from one of my jobs, all I needed was some fittings and bolts, approx. $45 worth.
Here is what I came up with, no drawings, I put it together as I was moving along

this should help.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Awesome! Proving the old adage, "Necessity is the mother of invention".

Now everyone'll want one.   ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

DaBigOno

Sal, you're a genius!  The screws give it the heavy-duty industrial look

I love the wood stove...
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

BMITCH

Nice job sal :o as always your a true craftsman. Now all you need is to garbage pick some pneumatic tires. They will be MUCH easier to pull across the sand. Btw, how was your luck surf casting?
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on November 16, 2014, 04:07:57 PM
Nice job sal :o as always your a true craftsman. Now all you need is to garbage pick some pneumatic tires. They will be MUCH easier to pull across the sand. Btw, how was your luck surf casting?
Thanks guys and gal ;).
Bob, not much action, the report at the tackle shop wasn't a good one, no one was catching anything. :-\.
I was getting frustrated with my casting, I was using 60#braid for the first time with 25 yards of 30# flourocarbon and it snapped twice at the nut, losing my wieght and lure. I'm loading them up with 20#mono again, as I had them.
The wheels will do just fine for my area, there is a nice paved road with sand and pea gravel mixed in that is pretty solid.
I only do this a couple of times a year when this cart goes to rest for the winter ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal, I'm with ya on the 20# mono on the conventionals off the sand. Far more forgiving. As for fishing from the sand/rock. I at onetime liked surfcasting over boat fishing. To me more of a hunting aspect to it. Now time forces me to have limited time on the water so I would like to optimize my chances of hooking fish. That's why most of my fishing is by boat now. Thanks for sharing the cart idea. I was always thinking of using aluminum and was kinda kicking around the idea of a PVC cart. You've proven it can work. Mine will not be as nice I'm sure. My reels NEVER come out looking as good as yours but they're functional.
luck is the residue of design.

floating doc

Nice work.  Harbor Freight has pneumatic tire/wheel sets that regularly go on sale for about $5 each. 
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Good looking Cart Sal!
Now all you need is an aquarium and you can fish next to the stove. ;D
Life is Good!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Lensters

Sal,

I have a few questions for you...

How did you flair your rod holders?

Why isn't the axle tube the back of your tray?
(I'm guessing you wanted the tray higher.)

What is the piece that sticks out in front of the tray for?

Len
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Lensters on November 17, 2014, 09:52:19 AM
Sal,

I have a few questions for you...

How did you flair your rod holders?

Why isn't the axle tube the back of your tray?
(I'm guessing you wanted the tray higher.)

What is the piece that sticks out in front of the tray for?

Len
Hello Len, as I mentioned above, I didn't really do any drawings, I put something together as I went along.
the rod holder has a piece of 1" conduit, over it another piece of 1 1/4" pipe that fits nice and snug and the sand spike on top.
Bungee cords will still be needed to hold the rods.
The axle tube is in the back, I did it as you see it to keep the tray 12" off the sand.
The piece in front of the tray is to hook my bait bucket, it will also be useful if you wanted to add a short rail, I didn't think it was needed.
Nothing fancy here, I just wanted something to help carry my gear, I got a little winded the last time.
Take care.
Sal

fIsHsTiiCkS

As always a work of art. Now those beautiful reels need a better rod! Those beefsticks wear me out after to much casting.

broadway

Creative! Are those rods split grips?
I especially like your toaster ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Yes!
About the toast, That was our toaster 50+ years ago in italy, I still enjoy doing the same today ;).
The last time we lost power, neighbors came over for bacon and eggs. ;D

Shark Hunter

I'll be right over Sal! ;)
Its going to get below zero tonight and we got about 4" of snow this morning! :o
Life is Good!