Homemade surf cart

Started by Alto Mare, November 16, 2014, 01:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I hear you, it's supposed to be in the 50's here, its going down in the low 20's this evening.
At the rate we're going, this 600 sq ft stone patio might need to wait till spring :-\

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That's a Beaut!~ ;)
Here is what I awoke to yesterday.

Life is Good!

Newell Nut

When a craftsman starts thinking about something he needs watch out. Nice job Sal. I need to get one of those made up myself.

VW

Nice design Sal.  Thanks for posting this.  I have been planning to make a similar dolly. I may pester you in the future. Couple of questions for now.

You say that is 1" conduit?  Is that stronger than plumbing type PVC tubing?  I figured 1-1/4", maybe even 1-1/2" tubing would be necessary.

Did you glue any connections?  If so, do you think the through bolts are still necessary?

Three se7ens

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 17, 2014, 08:09:09 PM
I'll be right over Sal! ;)
Its going to get below zero tonight and we got about 4" of snow this morning! :o

And I'm complaining about a high of 50 tomorrow...

Alto Mare

Quote from: VW on November 18, 2014, 03:33:14 AM
Nice design Sal.  Thanks for posting this.  I have been planning to make a similar dolly. I may pester you in the future. Couple of questions for now.

You say that is 1" conduit?  Is that stronger than plumbing type PVC tubing?  I figured 1-1/4", maybe even 1-1/2" tubing would be necessary.

Did you glue any connections?  If so, do you think the through bolts are still necessary?
Hello VW, no I don't believe the conduit is  stronger than the 1 1/4" pvc, but strong enough for what I did. The wall on the conduit appars to be thicker than the pvc.
Glue should hold, but I decided to use bolts. If you do use glue, make sure you mark all your pieces first, so they will fit as they should, you only get one chance...one of the reason I used bolts. It doesn't look like it, but when you break it down, it gets confusing, you will have many parts.
Again let me mention that I already had some stuff already, all I needed was bolts and fittings, I had a few fittings already as well. I believe that the material needed will run you around $75.
It might not be worth it for some of you, there are some of these on line at a reasonable price. I personally wouldn't buy anything less than $200.
Here is one that I just pulled up:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wheeleez-WZ1-BCF-Beach-Folding-Cart-/181553756112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a457277d0
I'm thinking your own might be a little stronger, but definitely not worth it if you purchase the tire kit, those are crazy expensive. I did see some $5 pneumatic tires at Harbor Freight, as floating doc mentioned.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

VW

I am aware of the Wheeleez stuff. Very expensive, and then spend more money adapting it to my needs. Thanks for the info. 

Shark Hunter

I saw this one made out of a beach chair.
Life is Good!

Marcq

I made myself one two years ago out of a golf Kart

Eventually I made it out of aluminum, it as change a bit since then

Marc..

CapeFish

Very cool carts, I "cart" my tackle on my back  :)

Jerseymic

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 17, 2014, 08:17:09 PM
I hear you, it's supposed to be in the 50's here, its going down in the low 20's this evening.
At the rate we're going, this 600 sq ft stone patio might need to wait till spring :-\

Nice patio Sal, wish you were here, I need one of those ;)

Ron Jones

I like it a lot Sal. I've done a couple very similar, I ended up repairing to much PVC and so switched to EMT. Even sweated a copper one together once. I had to figure out how to get a water tight joint some how. I've never thought about angling the rods, makes perfect sense once I looked at yours.

Hope to see a photo with a blue on it being carted home!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

I'm glad I started this thread, I love to see what everyone else uses. CapeFish, I used to lift a 6' concrete lintel on my own, now I have a hard time carrying a chair, a cooler and two rods. Things don't stay the same, unless you're Newell Nut ( Dwight) ;D.
Mike, my daughter is thinking on proceeding with her education in London, if that happens, I'll come over and get it done ;). Do you have Pennsylvania blue stone there? :-\
Thanks guys.
Sal

Jerseymic

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 21, 2014, 10:37:42 AM
I'm glad I started this thread, I love to see what everyone else uses. CapeFish, I used to lift a 6' concrete lintel on my own, now I have a hard time carrying a chair, a cooler and two rods. Things don't stay the same, unless you're Newell Nut ( Dwight) ;D.
Mike, my daughter is thinking on proceeding with her education in London, if that happens, I'll come over and get it done ;). Do you have Pennsylvania blue stone there? :-\
Thanks guys.
Sal

Sal,

I don't think we get your stone here, but if you come over, I sure would like to meet up for a beer!! ;D