Flat dog spring on 114H

Started by Bill Benrath, November 16, 2014, 06:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

I have an older 114HL with posts. I inherited it from my Uncle. The reel is in very good condition. It has the drag stack outside the reel under the handle.

I need a trolling reel for long range fishing trips and plan on getting a Makaira 30 someday.  At this time the Makairais not in the picture but I think I will be able to spring it in the next couple of years.

I just came back from a trip on the Vagabond and the boat uses 114H reels for trolling for wahoo.  The skipper said he likes the fact that the drags are a little sticky; it helps to set the hook into the wahoo's mouth.

I took the reel I have apart and the problem I'm having is one: the dog spring fell out and I didn't see the orientation.  Does the long leg of the spring go against the reel and the short arm goes against the dog?

For trolling for wahoo is this reel good enough without expensive upgrades (Accurate frame and spool $170) to get me by a couple of 8 day trips? The spool is heavy as all get out, it's not magnetic but I really don't think it's aluminum. It has pieces of chrome chipping off the clicker gear. I looked into getting an aluminum spool but with shipping it's about $50.00. The drag washers were about $20.00 which I have installed already.

One thing is I'm sure because of it's age it is made in the US.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Bryan Young

It doesn't matter which way the dog spring goes in as long as it fits.  They are all hand bent for installation so the location of the bend is not perfect.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Bryan's right on the spring -- doesn't matter as long as it fits.

One more thing, if you want a more positive dog contact with the geared sleeve ratchet -- all you have to do is adjust the dog spring a little by slightly bending it at a little less angle.

On the upgrade issue -- the drag upgrade you have done would be barely sufficient for Wahoo.  Although it may work for awhile, I suspect you may end up with a tweaked frame, posts, and stand.

I am in no way telling you what to do -- but since you did ask, here is what I would consider:

CF greased & SS drags, either a CF or a Delrin under-gear washer, Tiburon frame, aluminum spool, power handle, and possibly SS gears and sleeve. 

With the expense of a couple of 8-day long range trips in your future at $2,500 to $4,000 each -- the price of these upgrades to insure a productive trip and a wonderful experience, seems minimal, in my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

This is a double dog setup, but the stock one is on the left.

Life is Good!

josa1

Hi LadyE,

I used a 6/0 for years trolling for wahoo, I'm thinking the biggest I caught may have been around 60 pounds.  Never had a problem in the world.  After the initial run a wahoo is mostly done, although on occasion you might get a secondary shorter burst, great fun!

I never did anything special to the 6/0, just used it like the tank it is. If you use a greased carbontex drag system, cranked down for hooking ability, straight 80 or 100 pound, you can use it with confidence and be happy with the results.  Also would recommend you make sure the handle is out to it's maximum length for greater turning leverage.

Not so sure I would be happy with a sticky, jerky drag.  I think there's more probability of a break off.  You should be able to get the same hooking ability with a tight, smooth running drag.

Enjoy that Makaira when you get it. They're just great.

josa1

Bill Benrath

Thanks for all the replies; I think I'll take one along but use the boats when I need one; for now.

joel8080

Send me a PM with your address I have a 114H aluminum spool I do not need Merry Xmas.

PS the line on it is Big Game 40 thats never been used.
Oceanside,California

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 16, 2014, 07:59:08 PM
This is a double dog setup, but the stock one is on the left.

Are those SS springs?

jonnou

SoCalAngler

For the hoo's you don't need a whole lot of drag (stiff yes but not surper heavy) so a 114 should be fine. They do make a blistering first run but seem to give up the ghost pretty fast as already stated. Now if your pulling a Marauder or othe lure for the skins and get picked up by a 90-125 lb tuna you will see pretty fast why a nice 30II sized reel is a good thing to have while on the troll.

Shark Hunter

Yes,
Those are stainless. Bryan had some a while back and I bought all he had. I used them all up in my double dogged reels.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 17, 2014, 09:04:03 AM
Yes,
Those are stainless. Bryan had some a while back and I bought all he had. I used them all up in my double dogged reels.

Those are some lucky dogs lol!  ;D. Last question is that a hex insert or did you dremel the gear?

fIsHsTiiCkS

As everyone stateed the 114h will hold up just fine. With a few upgrades I.E ss sleeve and gears this reel with crush some wahoo. I have a light trolling 113h thats all tanked out that crushed a wahoo just this season. So even better a 114h. The only weak point is the frame (but it will hol up). You can find the older accurate frames cheap on eBay frome time to time.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on November 17, 2014, 09:28:31 AM
Yes,

Those are some lucky dogs lol!  ;D. Last question is that a hex insert or did you dremel the gear?
They are Black Pearl gears.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9345.0
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 17, 2014, 09:56:17 AM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on November 17, 2014, 09:28:31 AM
Yes,

They are Black Pearl gears.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9345.0

I didn't even know Alan C. Even made those. Very nice reel!! Bet she handles beautifully