114H with Black side plates???

Started by pompano joe, November 17, 2014, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompano joe

It's obviously a very old 114h, but it has black side plates.  Anyone seen or know anything more about these?
Pompano Joe

fIsHsTiiCkS

If im not mistaken when Penn switched over to the 114h series they did a limited run off black side plates. Very rare and definite collectors item! Where did you get it?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

They are great for winning bets with know-it-alls who insist that there is no such thing as a black 114H and what you really have a 114.

Tightlines667

That's pretty cool!  Guess I'll have to start taking a closer look at the markings on used black-side plate reels I see for sale from now on.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Beautiful reel!!!! Of course you have one Randy!!

pompano joe

Good information guys!  Thanks a bunch.  Unfortunately not mine...Yet!!!!  Just a reel that came through the shop.  I told a friend to give me his worst, and he did!  I've got a before pic and will get an after when I'm done and post them. Thanks again for the information and help.  Love this site!

Hey Randy, what spool is that on yours?
Pompano Joe

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Joe, that is an aluminum Newell Black Marlin spool, part of the Newell Black Marlin Special kit that widened the 114H frame from the stock 2.75" to 3.5", giving you approximately the same line capacity (and drags) as the 9/0 Senator.  The kit consisted of the spool, aluminum base and rod clamp kit and the five chromed brass cross bars.  They became very popular with the Hawaiian shore fishermen who needed the extra line capacity in a castable reel for the 100 lb.+ ulua that they targeted.  They are still used there today, as well as being a favorite of some of the fishermen who fish for sharks from the beaches along your Florida Gulf Coast.

Just in case your friend might want one, I have the kits available in good used condition for $135, or complete reels (with the era-correct standard red side plates with external drag access and amber-swirl bakelite knobs) for $175.  Here is a photo of a kit and a few complete reels, along with a couple of reels with the early Tiburon 3.5" wide frames, the ones with the wide four bolt base, not the cheesy little two screw blade that they use on the newer frames.

Newell also made a standard width black aluminum spool and base for the 114H (see photos below), which would look and work great on your friend's reel and which are relatively inexpensive at $$65 for the kit, especially if you were planning to replace the base and spool anyway.

handi2

Joe brought the reel by my shop today and I had never seen one either until now.  He picked up all the chromed parts needed so it will look new when he is done. The side plates were not swollen and the rings fit right on.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Wow!
Good stuff Randy, Joe and Keith! Awesome reels! ;)
Life is Good!

pompano joe

That CN spool is beautiful!  Is the Black Marlin the same width as the 6/0 Wide?
Pompano Joe

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: pompano joe on November 18, 2014, 05:06:18 AM
That CN spool is beautiful!  Is the Black Marlin the same width as the 6/0 Wide?

The factory Penn wide 6/0 (114HLW) frame width is 3.25".  The Black Marlin is 3.5", .25" wider.

broadway

I've been picking them up here and there when I get a chance.  Rob, (Norcal Pescador) was the first person to bring it to my attention and he gave me a hot tip on one over in Cali that I was able to procure.
Since then I believe I picked up 3 more.  I have them waiting for new chrome parts when I get the dough and stop buying everything Alan C. comes out with.
They aren't easy to find, but they certainly aren't impossible.  From what I've heard they were made for the first 1-2 years of the Penn 114h's. I'm sure someone knows better than me.
When I get them shined up I'll post photos.
Nice find Joe!
Randy, of course you have one ;)
Happy hunting,
Dom
PS- Be extra careful if searching Ebay for one.  Lots of maroon side plated reels look black if the lighting isn't right for the photo.
Ask me how I know... not once but twice :o

Maxed Out

Yep, nice find

From what I've learned thru the years about the 114H, the black sideplates were only produced for a few months in late 1963 and early 1964,...months, not years. They did make enough that they do pop up from time to time, but still a good find in any condition. A lot of collectors are always on the lookout for a possible first edition black 113H, but they only did a few 114H in black, and all the early 113H were dark maroon.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

TomT

A couple of years ago my son called and said he had purchased on ebay a left hand model 113h with black side plates.  I had him send it to me for service.  The side plates looked like normal 113h but were black and looked just like any other black side plate.  I had also purchased some 113h's and 114h's and I was combining some plates to Accurate or Tiburon frames.  I had purchased a purple 113h Accurate frame with maroon side plates for my daughter.  I decided the black side plates would look better with the purple frame so I went to service both reels and exchange the side plates. When I took off the black side plates I realized the  inside of the plates were maroon.?? :o ::)  The "black" side plates did not "look" painted but they were.  My daughter still has the purple frame with the black side plates and it still looks good and does not look painted, but---
I would still like to have "real" black side plates in 113h or 114h. ;D
TomT