114H with Black side plates???

Started by pompano joe, November 17, 2014, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: TomT on November 19, 2014, 04:06:23 AM
A couple of years ago my son called and said he had purchased on ebay a left hand model 113h with black side plates.  I had him send it to me for service.  The side plates looked like normal 113h but were black and looked just like any other black side plate.  I had also purchased some 113h's and 114h's and I was combining some plates to Accurate or Tiburon frames.  I had purchased a purple 113h Accurate frame with maroon side plates for my daughter.  I decided the black side plates would look better with the purple frame so I went to service both reels and exchange the side plates. When I took off the black side plates I realized the  inside of the plates were maroon.?? :o ::)  The "black" side plates did not "look" painted but they were.  My daughter still has the purple frame with the black side plates and it still looks good and does not look painted, but---
I would still like to have "real" black side plates in 113h or 114h. ;D
TomT

Tom, I do not have a set of black 113H side plates, and have not yet seen a reel that had them.  I thought that I had won one on eBay, but just like Dom said in his post, I learned the hard way that you can't always trust your eyes when it comes to eBay photos; we tend to see what we want to see.  I do search hard for black 114H side plates and I have found a few sets.  PM me if you might be interested in a set, or call me at 805-748-9202.  I'm on California time.

Thanks,

Randy

broadway

I hate when that happens, Tom.  Hey, they look good, perform well, and I'm sure your daughter don't mind it a bit. ;)
Ted, Do you know approximately how many they churned out with black side plates?
Randy, They sure look pretty, and now I need another to tie you. ;D ...My fiance' will shoot me dead! :o
If there's a red plated 9/0 (Big Red) than there's gotta be a 113h with black plates, no?
Let's keep the hunt on,
Dom

Tightlines667

One of my current fishing reel customers appears to have one of the coveted Black Side Plate 114h reels that he would like to sell to help finance his other endeavors.  The reel appears to be in excellent overall condition.  What do you guys think it's worth?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

More pics of said reel...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

If you had the whole package deal , box, wrench, lube catalog.......it is a $150 reel for sure.

Box and other stuff isn't too tough to find, so just the reel in that nice low mileage condition is a $100-$120 reel all day long. The few that pop up on ebay are usually sold as a regular old 114H without the seller knowing any better and not putting those key words in the title, but they are few and far between in great original condition.

One thing I notice about those early 60's 114H reels, they really had the bling with what IMO is an era of the best plating penn ever did on their reels. When new, the chrome looked like liquid. Kinda the same way they made the cars back then, chrome chrome, and more chrome.

Dom: It's only a guess how many black 114H reels were made, but it was just a first run kinda thing and my guess would be less than a couple thousand, which is a miniscule amount compared to how many 114H maroon reels have been put into service since then, so percentage wise, black ones are pretty tough to find, but a constant vigil on eBay and you'll see a handful per year.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

pompano joe

Quote from: Max Doubt on November 22, 2014, 04:21:49 AM
One thing I notice about those early 60's 114H reels, they really had the bling with what IMO is an era of the best plating penn ever did on their reels. When new, the chrome looked like liquid. Kinda the same way they made the cars back then, chrome chrome, and more chrome.

So true.  Amazing how these older reels come back because to that!

Anybody got a handle like on Tightline's reel.  I need one that looks period appropriate to finish mine off.
Pompano Joe

broadway

Tightlines,
   That 114h is in better condition than all of mine except maybe one.  I've bought them anywhere from $250 when I was new to this game down to $60 which is what I got the last 2 for.  The problem with all of mine is that the chrome is destroyed on nearly all of them.  Do you guys think the chrome's durability was sacrificed for the bling or do you just think they were rode hard and put away wet?
One thing I've never seen is the box to a black 114h... Is it any different or is it the same as all the rest from that era?
Nice reel bro,
Dom

sdlehr

I just joined the club with this SCORE! on eBay, and I'm pretty pleased with life right at the moment!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dominick

Quote from: sdlehr on April 23, 2016, 07:50:25 PM
I just joined the club with this SCORE! on eBay, and I'm pretty pleased with life right at the moment!

Sid
As well as you should be.   :o Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.