Shimano Calcutta 400TE screws and question !

Started by Drisse, November 19, 2014, 11:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Made service on a Shimano Calcutta 400TE and lost a screw for the first time. Only lost c/e clips before..... :)

I wonder if someone could measure the screw I lost, so I can have a look in a industrial store or something like
that, so I don't have to order from abroad. Don't have any extra Shimano screws at home :(

The screw is: BNT2687 Cam Backing Plate Screw.

Another question about the reel. I found two bearing washers BNT2128 and one thicker copperwasher. On the schematic
there's only one bearing washer ? Should the thicker copper washer be between the stardrag and  the first drag spring washer ?
No washer on the schematic ? The thicker copperwasher was installed with the two thinner washers between the bearing and
the spring drag washer. Doesn't seem right, but works fine.

/Drisse

alantani

it might not help.  japanese metric and european metric threads are supposed to have different pitches.  you will likely have to call you local shimano dealer for this one.  worse case, i can order one and ship it to you, but european threads are supposed to be different. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Zimbass

Hi Drisse,

Unable to help with the screw. Shimano Europe should have.

The original set up for the washers is correct. Often, Shimano install spacers that do not show up. All 3 go on top of the bearing, and under the spring washers.

Cheers,

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Drisse

Ok, thanks Alan. Will give the Swedish Shimano distributor a call, but I don't use to have any luck with them. Spareparts have to go through a dealer :( . And the dealers don't hurry to order tiny parts as a screw. Maybe I'll try Shimano UK ? Alan, do you know if its possible to order some kind of box with the most common Shimano screws ? Or their screws are all model specific ? Not like Abu that the screws fit many models ? I haven't made service on that many Shimano reels so I don't have knowledge of their screws.

Zimbass: Thanks alot for the info ! Very appreciated :)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

Drisse

Any idea if there's any good seller of Shimano parts in the UK that ships abroad ? I have sent emails to Shimano Europe and Felindre Servicing, but still no answers.

Keta

Provide me with the part number and I'll order it here, repack it and send it to you for actual cost.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Drisse

Thanks alot Keta !  :) I've sent you the partnumbers.

jurelometer

Quote from: alantani on November 19, 2014, 11:24:07 PM
it might not help.  japanese metric and european metric threads are supposed to have different pitches.  you will likely have to call you local shimano dealer for this one.  worse case, i can order one and ship it to you, but european threads are supposed to be different.  
Hmm,  decided to look this up.

The Japanese (JIS) standard was switched to be ISO interchangeable in 1967. Cannot believe Shimano is still using up their old stock  :)

It seems to me that the change in pitch (distance between thread crests) is small enough that it would be difficult  to ascertain by just glancing at it.  However, armed with a pair of calipers, you can count the number of thread crests over a measured distance.   For example,  a 3mm x.6 JIS screw  would have  10 threads  for  6mm of length, where an 3mmx.5 (ISO/updated JIS) screw would have 12.

Here are a couple common sizes that surfaced in an old Honda motorcycle bulletin.

Old JIS     New JIS/ISO

3x.6         3x.5
4x.75       4x.7
5x.9         5x.8
12x1.5.     12x2.5

Thread gauges are quicker, and might be nice to have around if you keep running into customers with some screws loose...  

Neither method works very well if the screw is missing, and all you have is a small threaded hole or nut.

-J