6500ss main bearing

Started by fsrmn, November 21, 2014, 05:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

I picked up a 6500ss from Craigslist.  I cant seem to remove the shield from this main bearing even using the AT hook method. I cant see a retainer even with a magnifying glass. Does it just pry out?  The crank bearings are cleaned, regreased and installed and the main bearing is clean but I need to remove the shield to pack it. I guess I could just oil it :-\
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Shark Hunter

I Have the same problem with some out of a 750. ::)
Life is Good!

fsrmn

How many times CAN you poke your finger with a fish hook while trying to open a bearing? Although the rule around here is "if it doesn't go past the barb, it doesn't count ;D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Is the plastic looking one the cage that seperates the balls? 

Alto Mare

Quote from: Three se7ens on November 21, 2014, 09:32:40 PM
Is the plastic looking one the cage that seperates the balls? 
Yes!
I've done those, but are no easy. You could pull the plastic cage, but you need to be very careful or the ball bearings will disappear.
Putting it back it's also no fun, but can be done. I have some pics here, but can't find them.

On the bearings with metal shields on both sides you might need to do as i did here:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1971.msg10129#msg10129

Not all are removable.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

only the metal side plate can be removed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fsrmn

I ended up working the metal side off. I gently pried on it with my pocket knife from the inside to the outside. I worked it a little at a time round and round. It finally popped off. Small Band-Aid and a little grease and I was able to reset the shield using a socket the same size and tapping it back in place. Re-installed it and now it works fine.
Thanks for your input. I considered using a dental pick but I didn't want to damage the shield if I didn't have to.

Shark Hunter

With all the ss reels I have bought recently, I notice, they all have different bearings. I have four of these bearings that came with a parts reel. They are pretty stiff. I will get to them eventually. I know what to do now.
Thanks Guys.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: fsrmn on November 22, 2014, 12:56:31 AM
I ended up working the metal side off. I gently pried on it with my pocket knife from the inside to the outside. I worked it a little at a time round and round. It finally popped off. Small Band-Aid and a little grease and I was able to reset the shield using a socket the same size and tapping it back in place. Re-installed it and now it works fine.
Thanks for your input. I considered using a dental pick but I didn't want to damage the shield if I didn't have to.
You did good, I wasn't able to pull the metal shield off.
On all bearings with the plastic shield on one side, I pull those off, to me it's much easier and could really give it a good cleaning.

alantani

correct, the metal shield can be pried out and you will see that the back side really is the entire cage.  it's an easy mistake to make.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Since you guys were able to do it, I need to know how you did it. There is no way I can get that metal shield off :-\.
Now, if you're talking about the bearing with the retainer ring, that'a a different story...as I'm showing on the left

as you could see, I really lifted the shield all the way around, but it won't budge

I could pull it out, but once I do, that shield is gone.

here is how I clean the bearings with the plastic racer

once you get it out, there is no better way of cleaning the ball bearings

the outer racer has a grove for the unremovable shield, well to me anyway

the opposite side doesn't

to put it back together, simply set it on the bench and placxe the balls in

move them around a little with a toothpick and they will set themselves in

once you get the balls in, they're set and won't come out, even if you spin them

push the plastic racer back in and your set.

If you take your time it can be done easily.

Tightlines667

I've been waiting for what seems like a long while for someone to demonstrate that trick.

Thank you!

Guess I never tried to get that plastic racer out.  Though I have removed the metal shield before

I've found these bearing types seem to hold up really well over prolonged use.  Despite seemingly looser tolerances and even after excessive wear, they still seem to function, rather then fail outright.  In stark contrast to some of the ABEC7 ceramic hybrids that are tight and smooth until they stop working (freez up) all together.  Just based on my limited observations.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Thanks John! I'm glad it was useful to you.
I don't know anything about ceramic bearings, I've never used those, but been wanting to give them a try, I only use stainless steel.
You're right about the bearing with the plastic cage, they do seem to last longer than  others. I have some that are very old which I use  yearly on my ss spinners and are still doing just fine.
I mentioned this before, a ss spinner (most with the same bearings I'm showing above) will never be as smooth as the newer models, but it will stay consistent the entire season...unlike many others.
I forgot to mention that prior to re-installing the plastic cage, spread the balls as I'm showing on pic #9 and they will set right it, you don't need to be precise.

Sal