Penn 14/0 Parts History...Spool, Gear Set, Bridge, etc.

Started by Tightlines667, November 22, 2014, 05:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

That is one gorgeous 4/0 Mike, thanks for sharing your treasures with us. How much insurance do you place on that 16/0 to ship it to Australia ;D.
I'm glad you decided to come aboard with us, I've been enjoying your company here.
Maybe one day we will meet, I believe you live in Jersey :-\ .

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

That 4/0 is a beautiful reel.  The chrome does indeed appear different, and that cute little handle ads character.  Is it wood?  What exactly is 'German-Silver'?  ...O yea, now I remember. 

Wikipedia states:

"Nickel silver, German silver, Argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, alpacca, or electrum is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. Nickel silver is named for its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver unless plated."

In case someone else 'can't remember'.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on December 04, 2014, 01:27:19 AM
Mike, That 16/0 is unbelievable! I've never seen a 16/0 in a lighthouse box.
Sal, Mike lives in Long Island if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks for showing,
Dom
Yeah that's what Ted mentioned to me, a get together is a possibility.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,  A get together on Broadway sounds like fun ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on December 04, 2014, 01:46:55 AM
Sal,  A get together on Broadway sounds like fun ;)
Dom
Yep!!! ;) The problem is that you'll be married by then, things change when you get married :-\. I used to have lots of hobbies :(.

broadway

Sal,
   I can guarantee I will make time for you guys, she'll be the mate,  and she'll make us lunch, too.
I told you she was a keeper ;)
Feel free to test me from about May 8th on,
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on December 04, 2014, 04:42:50 AM
Sal,
   I can guarantee I will make time for you guys, she'll be the mate,  and she'll make us lunch, too.
I told you she was a keeper ;)
Feel free to test me from about May 8th on,
Dom

Dom, I'm just messing around, I know I'll get away with it with you  ;D . From what I've heard so far, she is a keeper. ;)
You'll do just fine.
I have something unusual going on here, my wife actually grills me for not taking too much time off to go fishing. :-\
I will be on Broadway one day.
Later bud.
Sal

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat 4/0 is a beautiful reel.  The chrome does indeed appear different, and that cute little handle ads character.  Is it wood?  What exactly is 'German-Silver'?  ...O yea, now I remember. 

The handle is a resin composite, more than likely a version of Catalin. Penn did use wood for many handles but what is interesting about the era is, wood was considered the low end product. The new plastics, basically Bakelite derivatives, were stronger, more modern and longer lasting than wood. In today's world, wood is considered classic material but in the 1930's, wood was simply an old style material.

German Silver was the material of choice for quality fishing reels at the turn of the 19th to 20th century. It is basically a brass alloy with Nickel added to the mix. The nickel changes the color of the material. Old classics like this Julius Vom Hofe "B" Ocean Model were made of all Nickel Silver with Hard Rubber side plates (what bowling balls were made from). It makes them fun to restore because many of the old German Silver reels were not plated. You can clean them and polish them and they will come out like this, even though they are over 100 years old.

Sal, I live on Long Island in Wantagh.

bluefish69

I drive through Wantagh at least once a week from Howard Beach. Do you eat in Popei's Clam Bar?

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI drive through Wantagh at least once a week from Howard Beach. Do you eat in Popei's Clam Bar?

Nope, do not even know where it is but I am sure I can find it. I do still work crazy hours and am away from home every weekend living at a JFK International Airport Cargo Building, at this time in my life anyways.
             I usually meet people at Causeway Bait and Tackle, on Merrick Road.  <  http://www.causewaybaitandtackle.com/Default.aspx?  >  Good bunch of guys in Causeway.

bluefish69

Sometimes I stop at Causeway for parts on Mondays because I'm on my way home from Plainview L.I.  They don't know me I'm just another body in their door. Popei's Clam Bar is on Wantagh Ave approx. 1/2 mile North of Hempstead Turnpike set back on the right. They have nice Specials during the week.

Mike

Penn Chronology

QuoteSometimes I stop at Causeway for parts on Mondays because I'm on my way home from Plainview L.I.  They don't know me I'm just another body in their door. Popei's Clam Bar is on Wantagh Ave approx. 1/2 mile North of Hempstead Turnpike set back on the right. They have nice Specials during the week.

I am usually off on Monday's, so if you let me know when you will be there we can meet.

The location of the Clam Bar explains why I do not know it. The Northern Border of Wantagh is Jerusalem Ave., by the time you get to Hempstead Turnpike you are no longer in Wantagh, you are in Levittown. I have never been to that Clam Bar but I will put it on my list of places to try. Thanks.

bluefish69