Best bang for the buck used level wind reel

Started by Tom McKinney, October 28, 2014, 05:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

Have been rebuilding senators, jigmasters and the older sealines. Now I am looking for a level wind reel.  Going for bottom fishing and I want to go deep in Mexican waters 900 ft maybe so I need over 300 yards of 40lb spectra capacity.

Alternately I guess I could load up a 113h with 80lb spectra and max out the drags  in case a monster ling hits it but then I have to fuss with the line but I could pull 20lbs of drag.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Penn 330 gti would be perfect for you. Has same sleeve as 113h and drag stack. Solid levelwind reel.

foakes

Another couple of possibilities for something a little heavier --

Penn 345GT2

Shimano Tekota in 500, 600, 700, or 800

If you feel you need a level wind, these will do a good job also.

Critical is really cleaning with fresh water the level wind mechanism after every trip -- and re-oiling the mechanism (CorrosionX is good).  This is where the salt dries out and gets built up and turns to crust as it goes through the line guide and across the worm gear.

Actually, you should be able to handle 300 of 40 with a conventional reel with no issues -- but a level wind is nice -- just a little finicky anytime it gets near salt.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Stan

I do a lot of deep drop fishing, and 300 yards is nowhere near enough to fish in 900 ft of water.  I recommend at least twice the water depth you plan on fishing.  I've been happy with Daiwa Saltist and Shimano Toriums.  The Daiwas have been fine out of the box, but I replace the drags on the Toriums with Carbontex.

Best of luck

Keta

For the depth you are planning on fishing and the LW requirement I will say one of the larger Shimano Takota reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

conchydong

Recently got a new Penn Fathom Levelwind 60 for that purpose. Solid aluminum frame and enough drag to get it done. Lots of capacity also which is needed for deep dropping, especially in areas with lots of current. You want at least double the amount of line as the depth you are fishing. I would also use a minimum 65lb test Spectra. I have cracked the graphite framed reels too many times deep dropping with heavy lead. If you shop around, you can get them way under the list price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-FATHOM-FTH60LW-Fishing-Level-Wind-Reel-FREE-USA-SHIPPING-Right-Hand-/331359095605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d268a8b35

akfish

I really recommend something with a metal frame, either a Tekota or Fathom. Many people try to use graphite frame reels up here or bottom fishing but after you stick on 3 or 4 pounds of lead and crank up time after time the frame will torque and you'll fry the gears. I replace gears on Penn 330s more than any other reel i service.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

FatTuna

I agree that a metal frame is best for deep depths. I have a 330, a tekota 600, 700, and a fathom. I prefer the tekota 600. The 700 is pretty heavy to hold all day. The 330 is nice and light; but I agree with what the others said about the heavy sinkers and fish wearing on the reel. There is nothing wrong with the fathom but I just find myself grabbing the tekota because I prefer it.

Bryan Young

I would recommend the Tekota and change the drags out to greased HT-100s or Carbontex.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jd944

I'll start by saying that I have owned and used many level wind reels. I've had 2 Penn Fathoms, 3 Daiwa Saltists, 2 Shimamo Tekotas and a number of Penn GTi/GT2's. They were all fine reels but my favorites were the Penn Fathoms. That said, what it comes down to in my particular case is cost of operation and ease of maintenance. In the end, I sold all of my "bling" reels and have come to rely on my Penn Gt's. They are easy to maintain and parts are plentiful and cheap. I've got a 310, 2 - 320's and a 330. I fish the Gulf in under 150 feet of water mostly for Grouper. I use the 320's mostly and they've never let me down. When it comes down to "bang for the buck", I really don't think you can beat a Penn GT. Yes they're ugly and they're not as strong as their aluminum counterparts but they are pretty bullet proof. With a bit of maintenance and an occasional squirt of Reelx on the worm gear these reels last a good long time.