Los Cabos with Dominick, Joe and Wayne Nov. 11-18, 2014

Started by El Pescador, November 22, 2014, 11:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

This is a separate post of what Dominick begain here:
                         http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12216.0

We are heading out to San Jose Del Cabo, or as it is called Los Cabos, beautiful flying day!
What a view of the morning mist & fog just north of LA Basin!

On the way down from LAX, we fly right over the Baja peninsula for a thousand miles, you can see it in the foreground, the Sea of Cortez, & mainland Mexico in the distance.

Arrived at Los Cabos Airport and enjoyed a walk off I've never had in the 45 years I've been flying, Joe and I walked off the plan together, first one's off!  Whick meant we were in 1st. class - THANK YOU Dominck for the your great travel planning!

And here is where have have to endure the next 7 days together!  The Posada Real in Los Cabos!!

Due to the recent Hurricane, all the palm trees are a bit wind whipped, as you can see.

The resort was the only resort in a long row of 10 resorts open for business, and after seeing the damage, it may be up to 1 1/2 years before some are up and running.

Check out the damage in the local marina, LOTS of silt & ruin.  

Dominick & Joe at dinner time, doing our pre-planning for our 1st. day of fishing tomorrow.

Dominick choose the La Leona I for the boat, we've fishing this boat before, very nice ride out to the fishing grounds.

Underway & under full power

AND this is exactly why you bring your own reels to Mexico, rods too if you have room!  Don't think Yamaha Marine grease will save this once beautiful Penn from ruin.

Here is our gear for the day, with no introduction, "The Tank"

And our friend, Rick, his Penn 114H, which was saved by Dominick from the junk pile with a lot of TLC.

Here's Joe LOADED up on monster Wahoo!!!!  Fight it Joe!

And the results after a 15 minute battle, this fish ALMOST spooled the Penn Baja Special, it had maybe 50 wraps left before you know what!

Aiala, You are so right, this fish spun the drags like a toy top!  But the Baja Special prevaled!!!!

Here is a good sized Sierra Mackerel, very tasty fish!

That's it for now, more tomorrow...

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

You take some cool shots Wayne, thanks for taking us along. ;)
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

TomT

Nice photos & looks like you guys had a lot of fun.  When Mexicans see the sierra, they always come up with 2 things---civiche and fish tacos!!  :D    I am not an expert of shashimi but I have had most of the local Baja fish cut up into sashimi and my hands down favorite is the wahoo.  ;D  Great eating cooked too.
TomT

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 23, 2014, 05:01:41 AM
I like the wahoo belly ceviche myself.

I love ceviche and sashimi but after seeing the large leach like things in their stomachs I'm not sure I want to eat wahoo raw or acid cooked.

I apologize for grossing you all out with my great physical shape, hey round is a shape, and making Dominic look like Newell Nut in comparison but here's a GOM wahoo from a few years back.

And my first wahoo,

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

That stomach residing parasite is perfectly normal and natural to this species.  That reminds me, that I've been meaning to ask some local NMFS scientist that are currently working on a Wahoo study (we collect stomachs, otoliths, tissue samples, and gonads for them) what they know about these creatures.  I enjoy instructing my observers to make sure to take a look inside landed Wahoo stomachs to discover 'a special surprise' :)
Hope springs eternal

Keta

I'd be as mean and tough as a wahoo if I had them in my gut too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Quote from: Keta on November 23, 2014, 06:08:04 AM

Maybe you do?  How much of that Wahoo that you had stacked up like cordwood did you eat raw? 
Jk...I'm sure these guys are species-specific.
Hope springs eternal

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 23, 2014, 06:15:37 AM

Maybe you do?  How much of that Wahoo that you had stacked up like cordwood did you eat raw? 

Some but most of it got lightly smoked and canned.

Mark Twain

broadway

Awesome crew you got there, Wayne.  That International looks like it didn't weather the storm so well, and could use a proper burial at sea.
Dominick, that was nice of you to let Joe out fish you...again.  ;D
Glad to see a great trip with some close pals.
Nice photos too!
Dom

Tightlines667

Quote from: Keta on November 23, 2014, 06:18:31 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 23, 2014, 06:15:37 AM

Some but most of it got lightly smoked and canned.

That is the best way to deal with wahoo stacked up like cordwood.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

El Pescador

Back again posting the last of our trip photos!
Waiting for our boat to arrive, pack it up, and head on out.

Here the local fishing folks are out well before dawn for what they can catch & eat!

The catch was jack crevalle, barracuda & small bait fish.

Everyone was jocking for position to the bait boat, no boats hit each other, but man, where were some very close calls.

The third reel of our catching gear...  the Baja Special!  All reels preformed flaw...less...ly!

Don't even know the daily rate for this yacht!!!  Guess if you have to ask, you don't get to rent it!!!    It does look like a party-central boat!

Before we head out, it is our turn for the bait for the day!  There is a saying here, NO BAIT, NO FISH!!!  We got bait!

Nice Dorado for the ice chest & trip home.

Dominick with a hard fought Wahoo!

The inside cabin with all we need for the day, lunch, hot sauce, fishing gear, terminal tackle, coffee mug, beer holder, snacks, chips, etc.  If you need it, check here first.

My very basic tool kit to keep any loose screws from messing up our day, allen wrenches, cloth soaked in Corrosion X for reel clean up at days end.

Dominick told you about me taking a 6 oz. lead jig to my head, well atleast I saved the face!!!!  I knew at days end I would need some medical attention to get my ear laced up back to the side of my head!

Well I did seek medical attention, an english speaking Mexican Doctor about 2 miles from the resort, 23 micro stitches later, my ear is attached to my head!

Follow up with the Doctor 2 days later, looking reel nice don't you think???

It has been 2 weeks today, wound is healing better than expected,
Now is the time to plan our next offshore Bluewater trip!!!!  Where to Dominick???

Once Dom & I exchange our fish, I will offer to all AT.com members the remaining fish, and those of you who can travel to my home and pick up what you would like, please enjoy the fresh bounty of our offshore waters.

Unlike Dominick's Zin collection, frozen fish does NOT GET better with age, I try to give away and consume the fish within 90 days after arriving home from a trip.

TOO many trips I attend, guys are telling me ONE YEAR LATER, they still have frozen fish from last year!!!!  Don't get it!!!!   Catch it, eat it, & give it way, and then book your next trip!  If it is NOT ON YOUR calendar, YOU don't go!  Open your calendar and book your next trip with a fishing buddy!!!!  It's all about the memories!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!