Okuma Titus Gold TG-30-II Drag Washers...

Started by ijlal, October 11, 2010, 01:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Hi Alan,

Following are pics of my new Okuma TG30II as requested by you. Kindly advise what to do as I do not want to use this reel before I am thoroughly conviced it will do the job. Being low on budget (and unable to afford a similar sized Tiagra or International,) I bought this reel to use with my Shimano Tallus 60-100 lb Stand up rod for marlin and yellowfin tuna. I intend filling it with 65 lb spectra and using it with around 15 lb drag

I live 'fishing'!

Bryan Young

You should be okay.  Drag systems in several other lever drag reels use similar tabs.  If the tabs do give out, you will still have an effective drag, but now may be split between the drag pressure plate and the spool.  Just make sure you grease both sides of the drag washer.  Or, you could do the Avet thing...glue the draw washer in place (not my recommended option).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ijlal

Quote from: BryanYoung on October 11, 2010, 04:47:02 PM
You should be okay.  Drag systems in several other lever drag reels use similar tabs.  If the tabs do give out, you will still have an effective drag, but now may be split between the drag pressure plate and the spool.  Just make sure you grease both sides of the drag washer.  Or, you could do the Avet thing...glue the draw washer in place (not my recommended option).

Thanks Bryan!

Problem is there are two drag washers as shown in the pic; one is soft (cloth-like) while other is hard (feels like plastic, though it is probably not.) Which one should be on the top side, ie, directly in contact with the drag pressure plate?

The soft fabric-like washer seems to be the better one to be in contact with the pressure plate but without being bonded to some rigid support, wont it crumple between the hard washer and drag pressure plate? Should I glue the fabric washer to the hard plastic-like washer?

Alan thinks two washers do not sound true and is of the opinion the soft one might have peeled off from the hard one. That is why he asked me to send pics. All I can say is they are definitely two separate washers and do not appear to ever have been glued together or peeled off, as if one peeled the softer side off, one of the surface would definitely be uneven
I live 'fishing'!

ijlal

Quote from: ijlal on October 11, 2010, 05:11:33 PM
The soft fabric-like washer seems to be the better one to be in contact with the pressure plate but without being bonded to some rigid support, wont it crumple between the hard washer and drag pressure plate? Should I glue the fabric washer to the hard plastic-like washer?

The force of friction between the revolving soft washer and the fixed pressure plate would create inertia that would definitely force the soft washer out of its position; once forced out the tabs will be torn apart unevenly, creating an uneven drag washer and thereby affecting the drag negatively...but maybe I am wrong in my assumption?

Just my two cents!
I live 'fishing'!

Bryan Young

Quote from: ijlal on October 11, 2010, 05:11:33 PM
Problem is there are two drag washers as shown in the pic; one is soft (cloth-like) while other is hard (feels like plastic, though it is probably not.) Which one should be on the top side, ie, directly in contact with the drag pressure plate?

Alan thinks two washers do not sound true and is of the opinion the soft one might have peeled off from the hard one. That is why he asked me to send pics. All I can say is they are definitely two separate washers and do not appear to ever have been glued together or peeled off, as if one peeled the softer side off, one of the surface would definitely be uneven

Okay, that's strange.  Two washers.  You will be fine with the rigid carbon fiber washer alone.  I don't think it would hurt if you kept the non-rigid washer is also used as long as it's against the spool.  (note, all washers are greased on both sides.)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

serviola

Hi,

i have serviced the TG 50 W II few month ago. Here have been also these two drag washers. It's strange.

Put the soft one down and the hard one greased on top. This one is working against the drag disc.

Out of fabric it was otherwise, but the brake sucks. Now it's perfect as possible.

THX

Jürgen

alantani

the pictures help.  ok, here's what i think is going on.  i think that the softer cloth washer is actually just that, softer canvas cloth.  i would throw a light coat of drag grease on it and install it first.  i think the second harder drag washer is carbon fiber.  grease it in the normal way, install it on top of the softer cloth drag washer, wipe off all the excess grease from the exposed working surface of the hard drag washer and reassemble the rest of the reel. 

perhaps the soft washer is just a spacer?  please let us know how this works out.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JGB

Alan you got it right. Talked with Bretza (Okuma engineering VP) a while back and he stated to me that the drag washer is of a 'hard' type and the softer canvas acts a a cushion and spacer. The cushioning  allows the pressure to be spread evenly across the drag surface resulting in a more consistent and smooth drag. The drags on the newer products use drags that have a thicker softer nap (the cushion is built in).
the trade off is you need more freespool space with a softer thicker nap ( we are talking about a very small difference).
Jim N.

ijlal

Thank you guys! I have put the reel together and am waiting for some braid to fill up the reel. I intend filling it with 65# Spectra and a top shot of 50# Sufix to have ample capacity to handle larger fish. How would fireline fare, considering that the rod is an Aftco all-roller?

One thing that beats me is why Okuma resorted to using eared drag washer that looks quite frail on a reel meant to have some drag. Even the TG-15-II shown by Alan has a drag washer with a SS backing plate.

Can any of you advise what is the max drag rating for TG30-II?

Regards,
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

easily 30 pounds.  don't get pulled over the rail!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ijlal

Quote from: alantani on October 11, 2010, 09:51:24 PM
the pictures help.  ok, here's what i think is going on.  i think that the softer cloth washer is actually just that, softer canvas cloth.  i would throw a light coat of drag grease on it and install it first.  i think the second harder drag washer is carbon fiber.  grease it in the normal way, install it on top of the softer cloth drag washer, wipe off all the excess grease from the exposed working surface of the hard drag washer and reassemble the rest of the reel. 

perhaps the soft washer is just a spacer?  please let us know how this works out.  alan

Hi Alan,

I did as you and others suggested; put the softer cloth washer against the spool and the hard, carbon fiber washer on top. I haven't had a chance to use the reel yet, so cannot say how its gonna work but the arrangement seems okay. There is one question that comes to mind, however: Wont the soft canvas washer reduce performance on long, hard runs, especially against heavy drag? A carbotex washer in direct contact with the spool will have much better heat sinks on both its sides; heat would be conducted through the hot drag washer into the Aluminium spool with a much larger mass than the key washer while the soft cloth washer would work as an insulator. What says you and others?

Thanks!   
I live 'fishing'!

reelman-nz

hi all, the harder washer is carbon and the softer one is just a cloth/canvas type washer for spacing and cushioning .the cloth washer goes against the spool and the carbon against the pressure plate. i have  serviced this particular model numerous times and have never ever seen the tabs break off or the cloth washer move in any way,although if these get wet and not cleaned there is a possibility of salt build up under the washers which will cause an uneven jumpy drag especially if these have not been greased .. as for the washer in a tg15 2 speed although this has a ss backing with tabs to lock into holes on spool this is just a cloth/canvass  covering which over time tends to come of the steel backing making the drag fail big time.as for the small holes in the spool these are for the ss backed washers which will lock into these to prevent spinning, but like i said these are an inferior washer especially if you want a lot of pressure to stop a fish.

regards jase