114 wides

Started by Shark Hunter, November 29, 2014, 06:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Hi Aiala, I don't mean to butt in, but WEX means it's an EXtraWide even though they crossed the lettering.     RUDY

Shark Hunter

Rudy is correct Aiala. This is about as wide as you can go on a 114H. The spool comes with the frame as a kit. Inside the frame measures 3 3/16". A standard full frame HLW is 2 7/8". Its actually a little wider than a 9/0. I don't know what penn made their factory frames out of, but the factory frame feels heavier than this one. With the Hex drags, I would feel just as confident, if not more, fishing a WEX for Sharks as a 9/0.
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: RowdyW on November 30, 2014, 06:42:48 PM
Hi Aiala, I don't mean to butt in, but WEX means it's an EXtraWide even though they crossed the lettering. RUDY

Rudy, information is information no matter the source. I appreciate the input... thanks!   :)

Mr. Shark, okay, I got it. That Tiburon kit is 230 clams... yikes! (And no purple available.) Too rich for my blood... I still have to finish paying the Boss for my ride on this year's SOA adventure.   ;)

~A~

P.S. How on earth do you find these rare treasures?? It's amazing...  :o
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

The same way you do. Its no big secret.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361023486013?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I got $28.50 off in ebay bucks. So I pretty much got the reel to go with it for $26.50. ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I've got a T60, P60, and narrow accurate framed 6/0 but no WEX yet..hmm.  Is the line capacity of this spool close to a stock 9/0 w/aluminum spool?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 30, 2014, 08:09:13 PM
Rudy is correct Aiala. This is about as wide as you can go on a 114H. The spool comes with the frame as a kit. Inside the frame measures 3 3/16". A standard full frame HLW is 2 7/8". Its actually a little wider than a 9/0. I don't know what penn made their factory frames out of, but the factory frame feels heavier than this one. With the Hex drags, I would feel just as confident, if not more, fishing a WEX for Sharks as a 9/0.
Don't go by weight or thickness. The spindle on the narrowed kit is 23mm, on the WEX is 19.15mm.
According to a Tiburon rep. the material used on the Wex is more heavy duty.

This one with the works and double dogs is valued by me at $400.
If you're looking for one of these and happens to have what I'm looking for at a value of $400, we could make a sweet trade.
My top choice that I'm looking for are 970's, but they need to be new and I would want two... just in case ;D.

You know, I was adding the cost for the custom parts on this reel, adding everything up takes it to around $550.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

All beautiful, all way over my current budget... <sigh>

Come to think of it, though, that reel is so wide I think I'd have trouble laying the line properly; my thumb is too short.
~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Aiala, if I happen to be on that boat, I'll stand besides you and move the line while you crank the handle ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Sal, You have gone 970 Crazy! :P I know the feeling.
I had to earn my Money on this one. This reel was bone dry. I had my double dog setup all figured out and then changed it when I decided to put the reel together. It has the Vacuum formed plates, but I will do what I can with it.
The frame is in great shape. No stripped holes or scratches. I think I'll go with a conventional gear from Black Pearl with a 7 stack. Delrin undergear and on top if there is room.
These shims I bought from Mcmaster Carr were a great choice. This reel had minimum wear, but with these shims, there is absolutely no side to side play. Two .005's were in order here.
I greased the sleeve and then applied Reel X through the top.

Everything in this reel looks bone stock. I've never seen any drag washers like this. ??? They look like paper?

That last keyed washer fits perfect. ;)

The beauty of this Vacuum Formed plates, is it makes a double dog really easy. it is made for righty or lefty, so all you have to remove is the portion I painted silver.

So, after several hours of painstaking patience. Here she is! With her boyfriend. ;D

I keep trying to remember to take my Beer off the table before I take the picture. Its not working out. :P
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Daron, my reel isn't really for sale, I already know that no one here in their right mind would spend over $400 for a 6/0, well unless they knew what they were getting. This one has too many parts from some good friends so it isn't really for sale, but those 970's might change my mind ;D.
Figure $125 for a new 6/0, $225 for the Tiburon kit, BP gears, Bryan's washers, Dawn's yoke, Alan's knob and ss sleeve, Lee's handle and dogs and Jason's custom poweder coated rings, you'll be well over $500.
Is it worth it? to me, yes!
BTW, 970's are not all I have ;) ;D.
Good job on that reel bud, I just want to mention that you got it for $280, now add everything else you're putting in it and let me know where you're at ;D....labor of love my friend ;).

George4741

Quote from: Aiala on November 30, 2014, 03:50:27 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 30, 2014, 04:46:07 AM
Aiala, This one is just as rare as the 440 ss that eludes us. This one just required a little more change. ;)

Ugh, that pesky 440SS... Do you know, I haven't even seen one for sale?? Lord only knows what it'd cost...  :P

~A~

Why is the 440ss so desirable?  Is it more so than the 430ss and 450ss?  They are all similar in size.  
BTW Daron, very impressive collection of 6/0's.
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

They just haven't been around for a while George. Its a 440 that has the style of a 420 or 430. Usually the 440's are the graphite frames.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Number 3 got here yesterday. ;)
This frame looks like more of a candy apple red compared to the other Tib Frames. Definitely a labor of love Sal. ;D Silver, Red and Purple P60 Wex's. Reely gone has two red ones left.

Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Now what are you going to do with all those wex reels Daron! You have to many, send me one  ;D

Shark Hunter

reelygone has two more in stock. That is his website. reelygone.com.
Life is Good!