Early Avet LX 6.0 question...

Started by lemke, October 14, 2010, 03:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lemke

While fishing in the gulf this past weekend, I noticed the anti reverse dogs weren't "catching" when I had a fish on. When I opened the reel up,I noticed there was only ONE anti reverse dog assembly, even though there are recesses machined for two. Are there supposed to be two anti reverse dogs? This is an early reel with the "two screw" side plate.

Thanks for a reply!

Roger

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Fishermans Paradise

if you have recently serviced this reel, check the orientation of the AR dog, if it is in upside down, the anti reverse will slip !  One of those small details I found out the hard way, lol.

alantani

one is standard.  i've always thought that one side was for right handed reels and one side was for lefty's!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lemke

When I look at the recesses in the side plate, they are very definitely facing the same "rotational" direction... so 2 anti reverse dog assemblies could be incorporated... hmmm. I will send you a pic.

akfish

The early Avet LXs had a problem with the anti-reverse and if you fished them with line heavier than about 30# you'd realize this pretty quickly. If you stick in a stronger spring you'll solve some of the problem, but I think it was just a bad system. I haven't been able to install two dogs but if you can you've got a neat trick. The current Avets have an entirely different and much better anti-reverse system.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

Attached is a pic of the sideplate. Asyou can see, the recesses are "rotationally" in the same direction... so 2 anti reverse dog assemblies could be used. Hmmmm.  And as of yet, I haven't figured why the AR is hit or miss...   
Any input would be appreciated.  John 

wow!  i didn't remember that being the case!  it looks like you could easily fit a second dog and spring and i would definitely do so.  as far as the dog missing, there are a couple of possibilities.  one is that the "ratchet" gear attached to the drive shaft could be damaged.  the other is that the main gear might be putting downward pressure on the dog which might keep it from moving freely.  if we can get a photo of the ratched gear, that would help.  a thin thrust washer between the gear and bearing might stop the binding if that is the case.  thanks for the photo!  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!