Crank arm and Handle

Started by Reel 224, November 29, 2014, 03:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Received my crank handle and crank arm so I am able to modify my Pflueger Capitol #1988. As soon as I get started I will add photos.

I fitted the crank arm to the reel today,it took about an hours worth of filing but all in all not bad it looks great on the Pflueger and feels even better. Ill take pictures of the parts and show my homemade 2X4 fixture to hold the arm while I filed it to fit. I also removed the old handle from the stock arm and tried the handle on it.Not as nice as the new arm and handle.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Some additional pictures of the handle I installed on the Pflueger reel.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

DaBigOno

Ingenious!  Don't have to worry about marks from a vice.

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Reel 224

Quote from: Dabigono on November 30, 2014, 02:12:17 PM
Ingenious!  Don't have to worry about marks from a vice.

Ive done Gun Smith work for years and had to cover my vices with various types of material to prevent marring the finish...trouble is in some cases you can't get the steadiness needed without cranking the vise down to crushing pressure. So I got into the habit of using other material for fixtures or (Jig) to hold small objects or those that are subject to crush pressure.

I'm very pleased with the outcome of the completed Crank Arm and Handel.   

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

nice work!  i figured it would take a while.... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on November 30, 2014, 09:37:49 PM
nice work!  i figured it would take a while.... 
Time is labor of love...sometimes ;D

Good job Reel 224. 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Actually fitting the crank arm to the crank shaft was pretty easy, I just needed a few tools and some elbow grease. It was a pleasure. I love to have things to tinker with. Sometimes I tinker with things I shouldn't  ::) :o ;D

Rothmar2

Where's the "Like" tab here? This is a nice alternative to using copper or ally soft jaws in a vice.

PS- I don't do Facebook.....

Reel 224

Quote from: Rothmar2 on November 30, 2014, 10:34:53 PM
Where's the "Like" tab here? This is a nice alternative to using copper or ally soft jaws in a vice.

PS- I don't do Facebook.....

No; neither do I ;D

Thank you all for your complements. 

Some times the simplest things work best.

gstours

thanks for posting the pictures. it gives a lot of insight to your project.  many people would like to change something but not bad enough to do it.
   Ive messed up a lot of perfectly good things trying to "improve" them.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.
the crank arm is the connection between man and machine. a lot of times the factory one is not your cup of tea.  gst.

Reel 224

Quote from: gstours on December 11, 2014, 06:11:56 AM
thanks for posting the pictures. it gives a lot of insight to your project.  many people would like to change something but not bad enough to do it.
   Ive messed up a lot of perfectly good things trying to "improve" them.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.
the crank arm is the connection between man and machine. a lot of times the factory one is not your cup of tea.  gst.

You are welcome; I certainly don't think it was a big deal,just a quicker solution to the project. A long time ago I was told only people who are not afraid to try make mistakes,those that are; never do. I love to tinker and for the most part it has been a rewarding experience. I love this site for information on many different projects, there is a lot of information to be gained here.