114H with thick felt drag washers

Started by Wally15, December 03, 2014, 04:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I'm new here and still learning the "search" routine and syntax. And I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for.  I have an OLD 114H (burgundy plates) where you can access the drag washers from the outside. It has thick felt drag washers (1.170" OD, .573 ID, and .130 thick). I haven't completely disassembled it (it's fairly new to me - estate sale), and I can't even find a 114 or 114H schematic that shows this particular drag system. I did find one like it for an old 113 with a 140 felt washer and a 136 collar/cap.
I also can't find an equivalent sizing on the carbontex charts to upgrade the drag, which was going to be my 1st order of business. The drag system looks to be in very good shape.
Can it be upgraded? Is it even worth it? Or should I turn it into a paperweight/conversation piece?
I have 3 other 114H's, and 3 or 4 113's and 113H's I am interested in upgrading as funds permit. So this one can easily slide to the back burner.
It just slightly ticks me off to run into a brick wall on the very 1st reel I start on.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

RowdyW

Hi Mike, just use the regular 114h schematic for the 5 drag washer set up. As far as the felt washer it can be left out. If the drag stack is a little short just put another keyed washer on top of the drag stack to make up the difference. Check Scott's Bait & tackle for schematics & parts.   RUDY

FatTuna

You probably need to add two metal washers to the stack and replace with Ht-100 or carbontex. Ditch the old drag washers. Are they felt or asbestos? Either way that reel can be upgraded.

jonnou

the search function on this site is not the best. the ask and get a result function is awesome
ht100 or carbontex greased you wont look back

Shark Hunter

This is the kit you need Wally.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-PART-Senator-114H-6-0-HT-100-DRAG-WASHER-KIT-6-114HSP-Fishing-Reel-PARTS-/151466216680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2344170ce8
I have several 114H's and have not found one that couldn't be upgraded.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx
If the undergear washer is toast. You will need to replace it as well.
Here is the schematic.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/114h_post.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Wally15

Quote from: fatstriper on December 03, 2014, 05:12:23 AM
You probably need to add two metal washers to the stack and replace with Ht-100 or carbontex. Ditch the old drag washers. Are they felt or asbestos? Either way that reel can be upgraded.

It's a felt washer in vg condition. Almost a shame to trash something that old that still has limited utility left.
Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Wally15

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 03, 2014, 09:43:52 AM
This is the kit you need Wally.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-PART-Senator-114H-6-0-HT-100-DRAG-WASHER-KIT-6-114HSP-Fishing-Reel-PARTS-/151466216680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2344170ce8
I have several 114H's and have not found one that couldn't be upgraded.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx
If the undergear washer is toast. You will need to replace it as well.
Here is the schematic.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/114h_post.pdf
I might be hijacking my own thread, but a couple of additional questions/comments:
1) I already have the 114HSP kit, just waiting on some recommended lubricants (Cal's, 321, Corrosionx, etc.) to get started on the upgrade. What do you guys do for the extra "+1" washer that goes under the gear?
2) What is the "Firearms Group"?
3) If you had 7-8 old Penn Senators that are all functional, how would you go about deciding on which ones to upgrade 1st if you were going to do one a month? Is there a way to test say 4 113/113H's to determine some order of upgrade?
That's enough for now.
Mike

"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Shark Hunter

Mike,
Definitely use Cal's on the Carbon fiber drags. As for under gear washer, some use a smaller HT-100. I think Delrin is the better choice here. As far as the Firearms group. it is a section of the site dedicated to firearms. You need permission to access this. its pretty easy.
A far as upgrading your senators. I would leave no stone unturned and do them all! ;D
You need to tear those 113's down and see what you have. The 113H has quite a reputation here.
Daron
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Quote from: Wally15 on December 03, 2014, 11:23:49 AM

3) If you had 7-8 old Penn Senators that are all functional, how would you go about deciding on which ones to upgrade 1st if you were going to do one a month? Is there a way to test say 4 113/113H's to determine some order of upgrade?

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 03, 2014, 11:58:49 AM

A far as upgrading your senators. I would leave no stone unturned and do them all! ;D

Depends how deep your pockets are  and/or what your wife is going to allow you and/or how much you can hide from her...

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Wally15

Depends how deep your pockets are  and/or what your wife is going to allow you and/or how much you can hide from her...

Life isn't fair....
Before I retired, I had money but no time. Now I'm retired with lots of time, but not much money.

My wife and I have an "understanding" (took me two shots to find an understanding one). Both were 9mm center mass...just kidding! I'm retired military (mostly NG) and get a small monthly retirement check. Most people don't know that NG pilots have to keep the same flying hours and proficiency as full time active duty pilots. So I averaged two weekends a month away from my wife and kids, plus 2-3 weeks every summer. I'd fly over lakes and see the boats and people fishing and swear that someday I'd be down there instead of up here.
That time has finally arrived. And I use some of my military retirement to buy toys and boat gas to catch up on all those lost weekends. As long as I keep it reasonable, I don't have to hide anything from her. However, based on the toys I've bought over the last month or two, she and I might have to agree on a definition of "reasonable".
I just might start oiling the old 9mm when we have that conversation ;D
Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Shark Hunter

maybe you should take the firing pin out. ;)
Life is Good!

fsrmn

I agree with shark Hunter on the delrin under the main gear. Sal (Alto Mare) sent me a couple for my 113h and it really smoothed it out. Now I am putting them in everything I can ;)
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Wally15

Quote from: fsrmn on December 03, 2014, 10:48:31 PM
I agree with shark Hunter on the delrin under the main gear. Sal (Alto Mare) sent me a couple for my 113h and it really smoothed it out. Now I am putting them in everything I can ;)
I agree. Just ordered some from Dawn today, and some 113H drag kits. She was even nice enough to swap out the "+1" carbon for a delrin and take the difference off the bill. Nice!
Who says customer service is dead?
Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor