Abu 6500 tank?

Started by pounder21366, December 03, 2014, 11:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pounder21366

I would like to get 20# of drag out of my pair of Abu 6500 Big Games, the older black reels. I'm not sure if this has ever been done, but I want to try. Any thoughts or ideas on what all would need to be replaced would be appreciated.

Fish-aholic

Hi Pounder, you will not achieve 20lb of operational drag with a 6500 sized Abu. :-\ With a bottomed out star wheel it's possible the reel can punch in excess of 20lb's worth of drag (proven by a couple of members here), but there's a big difference between possible and operational. Let me explain, at such a high drag setting (20lb), the stresses placed on the small brass gearing will quickly strip, the spool spindle would flex causing the spools lip to chatter against the cage and the brass cage could also flex and twist. None of these situations you ever want to encounter with a fish on the other end of your pole. This is why the drag number you desire is not an operational one. Sorry, but that's just how it is with a refined reel that Abu's are. Around 6lb would be it's optimum for a 6500 sized reel.

Tiddlerbasher

x2 I use an Akios 550 (Abu clone). It is usually fished with 5 or 6lb of drag (even though Akios 'claim 17.5lb' drag).

pounder21366

I'm not even considering using stock Abu parts. One piece aluminum frame with integrated foot, aluminum spool, stainless oversized spindle, stainless gear set, etc. Aftermarket parts. I don't think I've ever seen a stainless steel gear sleeve for this reel. I'm not sure if the aftermarket parts available would stand up to 20# of drag. Would I have any Abu parts left if I tried this? I know this would be a stupid thing to do. But I may just need to try it to see if it can be done.

DaBigOno

Go for it Pounder.  I think that's whats nice about this forum.  People experimenting to see what the can do.  Please keep us posted with pics.

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

pounder21366

If I do decide to go for it, I will most likely stretch the stupid out over a couple years. That way I don't feel quite as much like an idiot.

Chuck.

Fish-aholic

Quote from: pounder21366 on December 03, 2014, 02:08:33 PM
I'm not even considering using stock Abu parts. One piece aluminum frame with integrated foot, aluminum spool, stainless oversized spindle, stainless gear set, etc. Aftermarket parts. I don't think I've ever seen a stainless steel gear sleeve for this reel. I'm not sure if the aftermarket parts available would stand up to 20# of drag. Would I have any Abu parts left if I tried this? I know this would be a stupid thing to do. But I may just need to try it to see if it can be done.

I'm not going to put you off from accomplishing your objective, but I hope you don't mind some added considerations to bear in mind?

In regard with the one piece machined aluminium frame, the tolerances can be tighter than the stock cages. Even with a stronger spindle in place, it will not stop the spool from chattering the lip of the frame at very high drag settings. I've bore witness to that scenario with the Abu TSRi series.

Now for the IAR bearing - or dogged tooth pawl - if either can sustain 20lb worth of continuous pressure? Same goes for the strength of the clutch plate retaining the right spool bearing?

No stainless steel gear sleeve available for an Abu - unless you get one machined - because there has been no need for an Abu to require high drag settings. This leads on to the shaft which retains the gear sleeve and if it can sustain the added stresses?

Remember, when in search of more drag, the rest of the reels makeup has to suit. It is why Sal's tank upgrades have been so successful with his projects.

Like I said, I don't want to put you off if you're still inclined to find out for yourself, but I thought I'd add the forewarnings before you release some paper from your wallet.

I wish you luck!         

pounder21366

Quote from: Fish-aholic on December 03, 2014, 04:50:34 PM
Quote from: pounder21366 on December 03, 2014, 02:08:33 PM

I'm not going to put you off from accomplishing your objective, but I hope you don't mind some added considerations to bear in mind?

In regard with the one piece machined aluminium frame, the tolerances can be tighter than the stock cages. Even with a stronger spindle in place, it will not stop the spool from chattering the lip of the frame at very high drag settings. I've bore witness to that scenario with the Abu TSRi series.

Now for the IAR bearing - or dogged tooth pawl - if either can sustain 20lb worth of continuous pressure? Same goes for the strength of the clutch plate retaining the right spool bearing?

No stainless steel gear sleeve available for an Abu - unless you get one machined - because there has been no need for an Abu to require high drag settings. This leads on to the shaft which retains the gear sleeve and if it can sustain the added stresses?

Remember, when in search of more drag, the rest of the reels makeup has to suit. It is why Sal's tank upgrades have been so successful with his projects.

Like I said, I don't want to put you off if you're still inclined to find out for yourself, but I thought I'd add the forewarnings before you release some paper from your wallet.

I wish you luck!         

Exactly the type of info I was looking for to help me make a decision.