You guys are costing me money.....and beauty sleep

Started by Wally15, December 03, 2014, 12:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I should have made my profile name Pavlov because I've been salivating over some of the very nice reel upgrades on this forum. I've been a member less than 2 days and I've already logged about 12 hours on the site.
Thank goodness I'm retired.
I love to fish. Up until recently, it was all fresh water, mostly bass and crappie fishing. I have a "man cave" and a bass boat at Lake Eufaula (the GA-AL one). I have a bunch of decent reels and rods for that kind of fishing.
The wife loves the beach, as in sunbathing, not fishing. I'm bored to tears laying on a beach, except maybe during Spring Break  ;) Since I only live 3 hours from the Gulf, we purchased a fairly nice travel trailer last year and park it at a campground in Mexico Beach, FL for 5-6 months a year. I also have a mid-sized boat (Proline 24' cuddy with a Merc deuce and a quarter) and I have started doing some offshore fishing. And I've caught "the bug". I didn't have any decent salt water equipment, most of my previous saltwater fishing was either charter boats or from piers during family vacations. I recently found out the hard way that my Penn 209's and Long Beach 60's won't hack it in 100' of water. There's a 209 MF in cherry condition currently touring the G of M, but I still have the rod handle as a memento of "the big one that got away".
I've always been partial to conventional Penns, my 1st was a brown 209 purchased in the late 50's. Still got it, still works great.
After getting "sticker shock" over the price of new s/w reels, for the past few months I've been buying used 113's and 114's off ebay and craigslist. Some decent 30-50# and 50-80# rods as well. I can buy 3 or 4 of them and upgrade as necessary for the price of one International. I'm 65, I don't really need a reel that's going to last me another 50 years.
To sum it up, I'm really glad I found this site. The knowledge you guys are willing to share, and the good natured banter that goes along with it, is refreshing. And very helpful. Thank You.
And if any of you guys are ever in my area, let me know and we'll "wet a line". Fresh or salt, your choice.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

DaBigOno

Wally, it's a reel sickness we share.  Help us by posting some pics please  ???
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

crackerman

I know exactly how you feel! I have a 113hlw i should have just freshened up, now i have twice as much dollars in parts in it than i originally spent on it... And it has only been fished once. It is an addiction.

My wife doesnt appreciate it, bit it is cheaper than car parts for my other projects!

Thanks for the support group Alan!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ACDIII

Wally15,
Mike:
After I retired I got hooked on this site and started putting new drags in reels and now my latest addiction is old Penn SS spinning reels. I fish Appalacicola, St George Island and the western Gulf area also...Let me know if you want to hook up and try it this spring.

Andy

Keta

Quote from: Wally15 on December 03, 2014, 12:45:23 PM
I should have made my profile name Pavlov because I've been salivating over some of the very nice reel upgrades on this forum. I've been a member less than 2 days and I've already logged about 12 hours on the site.

Fish on!  Hi Mike.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Welcome Mike.  Good to have ya on board.  As you notice, we are a helpful bunch, so if anything arises that stumps you, I'm sure it has stumped one of us here at least once, with a possible solution.  So don't be afraid to ask.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Hi Wally --

You may find that you can't do it all -- there are too many neat types of reels out there.

My advice, for what it is worth -- determine what you really enjoy the most. 

Follow your passion.

Don't scatter your fire -- determine your targets -- take careful aim -- and enjoy the ride.

We are all here to help each other -- so show us some pics when you get a chance of your equipment, or whatever you deem interesting.

Thanks for being a member.

Best,

Fred

Thanks again
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

anglingarchitect

We hunt just outside of Georgetown toward Lumpkin and visit Eufaula regularly, I live in Tampa, and was born in Apalachicola and have a couple of houses in Cape San Blas. So I have fished the entire gulf coast for my entire life. i have had the addiction for a lifetime, and it shows no signs of letting up. Since I discovered this site It has gotten worse however. No cure to date no real treatment for it either.

Welcome aboard,

Mark aka Anglingarchitect

fsrmn

Welcome Wally. Like Shark hunter said, it's just the beginning ;D The repair help is awesome here, also there are some great deals on used reels. I also fish the St. George Island area along with camping and fishing at Cape San Blas State Park. I have a bunch of family in Eastpoint which is just South of Apalachicola. My cousin Coy Shiver is a charter captain there and another cousin owns Barbers seafood. Its one of my favorite places to fish.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wally15

Quote from: anglingarchitect on December 03, 2014, 08:58:15 PM
We hunt just outside of Georgetown toward Lumpkin and visit Eufaula regularly, I live in Tampa, and was born in Apalachicola and have a couple of houses in Cape San Blas. So I have fished the entire gulf coast for my entire life. i have had the addiction for a lifetime, and it shows no signs of letting up. Since I discovered this site It has gotten worse however. No cure to date no real treatment for it either.

Welcome aboard,

Small world. Up until last year, I also had a lease between G'town & Lumpkin. East of Green Grove Church off Co Rd 3. Also, two good friends own the Cape Trading Post on CSB. We'll have to pull a trigger or wet a line sometime. Better yet, if you need a short hunting break for a hot shower, a cold beer, and some satellite TV, my man cave is about 15 minutes from your hunting land. PM me if you're interested.
Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

alantani

Quote from: anglingarchitect on December 03, 2014, 08:58:15 PM

Welcome aboard,

i'm blaming sal....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Doug

Sal has expensive tastes ,I know I copied a few of his projects on surfmasters    But its all good the reels are almost too nice to use  Doug

Wally15

Quote from: Dabigono on December 03, 2014, 02:06:45 PM

Wally, it's a reel sickness we share.  Help us by posting some pics please  ???

How's this for starters?
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor