New Guy Checking In

Started by Wally15, December 01, 2014, 08:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

Hello from S. GA. Own a bunch of Penn reels and looking for upgrade and rebuild info. I still have a 209 that my Mom got me in the late 50's with S&H Green Stamps! Drags getting a little weak. Just use it on a Subiki rig now.
Mostly do offshore trolling and bottom fishing in the FL panhandle. I'm a retired engineer from tire manufacturing, so I'm looking for something to occupy my time as well as to maintain/upgrade my equipment. Price of new reels is getting a bit ridiculous.
I have run across some great info on this forum so far. Thanks for letting me join such a dedicated group that is willing to share their knowledge.
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Aiala

Greetings, Wally! 

~A~

P.S. I remember S&H Green Stamps, too.   ;)
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

welcome!  yeah, i remember green stamps, too!  mom made us lick the back of the stamps and paste them into the books. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Welcome Wally! ;D
You are in the right place! ;)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Welcome Wally.

If you need a bit more drag for your 209 and have steel gears, I believe I have a drag kit that will fit your main gear.

Have fun here and if you run into a bind or have a suggestion to help someone out, please pop in and share.

Thank you,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Welcome, Wally --

Glad to have you on board!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

welcome Wally....another penn guy ;D
If this keeps up, Alan might have to change the title to: alan tani @ alantani.com penn fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial  ;D.
Enjoy your stay.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono