Low Cost adjustable rod winding Chuck

Started by gstours, December 04, 2014, 04:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

After buillding quite a few rods with a joe homeowner power wrapper and then dabbling with marbling finishes it was more than time to have a slip clutch on the dryer and the wrapper for improving my products.  Below is a very simple clutch-chuck that was simple to build, and inexpensive as well. I wished I would have has it long ago!    This is what prompts me to show others.  It could be modified further but its a good start although not a pretty thing you would want with you plinth!

this is the finished unit. made from 1 1/2 pvc flat back caps, a 1/4 inch machine screw, a couple of fender washers each side. and a nyloc hex nut. for adjusting.  the thumb screws were 1/4 x 1inch and 3 hex nuts were JB Welded in place after sandpapering the weld area.  turning on the 8 rpm kept the epoxy from dripping.   A round carbon fiber greased washer was placed between the flat back caps.  simple and cheap is good sometimes!  What was nice was that now you can stop the turn instantly, back up easily, and finishing the thread end under the base is now easier.  I know it will rock for marbeling and appling top coats as well...........gst.