penn model #85

Started by scottj, December 06, 2014, 06:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottj

Found an old Penn #85 kicking around was thinking of upgrading it. Maybe a new spool and handle anyone know where to find parts for this reel.
And is it worth the upgrade i'd just use it for jigging and poss. cut bait.
Thanks in advance for any help.
ScottJ

akfish

If you put on a new spool and new handle, you'll have a Del Mar 285. Stick in carbon fiber drag washers and you're left with a reel that will pull maybe 8 pounds of drag with a 2.5:1 retrieve ratio. That will catch fish but for me at least, it's not something I'd really want to use...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

BMITCH

I looked on SB&T site and they said this was a 85 seaboy at a 3.1:1 no??
luck is the residue of design.

mhc

I like the size of the 85 for inshore bottom bouncing but like Akfish said they are a bit slow with limited drag.
MysticParts (Mystic Reel Parts) do list the seaboy 85 gear ratio at 3.1:1 although the 85 I have appears to be around 2.5:1. The spool rotates approx 2.5 times for one revolution of the handle  :-\
I don't know what year mine is - it is a dark brown model with the aluminum spool and three carbon fibre drag washers which makes me think it is a later model.
As far as upgrades go, the 85 uses a 98-155 gear sleeve so there are a number of handles, jigmaster incuded, that will fit.
Below is a photo with the original 24-85 at the left followed by a 24-155, 24-66 and 24-56.

The aluminum spool 29L-85 is available from SB&T at around $27. There is also a stainless gear sleeve available 98-155AT at around $27.
It's up to you if it's worth it - maybe if you can get cheap used parts and don't mind slow retrieve or need a lot of drag.

Michael

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Ron Jones

I really like this reel. I have 2 I made for my daughters with CF drags and SS spools. Mine get 10#s of drag with a 66 star and not to much effort. I loaded them with 300 yards of PP and filled the rest with 30# Big Game.

I have another I use myself with SS gear sleeve, aluminum spool, the big Jigmaster arm and handle (24-56 with the old torpedo handle I think) and a steel gear. I will be getting a 5+1 stack from Bryan after the New Year for this reel and will use it for mid water cod loaded with 600 yards of 40# braid and the rest 40# floro. The 5+1 stack will give me way more than enough drag for even 60# but it isn't a huge spool.

These reels are cheap, but they are great when upgraded and the slow ratio works for certain bait presentations. I just wish there was a Newell kit for one.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

The 85 is not a bad reel, yes a little slow, but speed is not always required. According to my calculations the ratio on this reel is 2 1/3 :1 n not 2.5:1 or 3.1:1.
Most 85 that I've opened come with a brass pinion, you could change it with the longbeach 60 pinion, which is steel.
I'm going to disagree with Bill (Akfish) on drag numbers.
Penn rates the jigmaster at 14lbs max, the 85 could definitely do better.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I recently acquired a bad shape 85. I should really be working on bigger and better things, but She is calling me.
Broken down, busted spool, Green parts. She Deserves better.

For some reason, there was a 65 stand in this mess. That got the wheels turning.

66 Stand, Long Beach 65 ss spool, 112H posts and handle. The only real upgrade was the leather drags to 6-60's and the ss Hex screws.

She lives again.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Shouldn't it be a 65 stand & a 65 spool? Now it's a Sea Boy 190 .

George4741

The 85 doesn't have the inner metal reinforcing rings like those found on the Long Beach 60.  Shimano TLD graphite frames have failed and I'm sure on the 85, if pushed far enough, a sideplate will fail at the screw holes where it attaches to the reel stand.  I think you should be gentle on the drag with your 85 or get a stronger reel.
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

I'm playing with a 5+1 and 5+Delrin set up (.020" CF and keyed washers, stock Penn eared washers) in a much smaller 5-155 main gear (Monofil 25) and I'm seeing over 15# of drag, the larger 5-60 should be able to reach this with a 5 washer stack.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Bryan sent me a bunch for the 5-60 gears when he first started. Those are very nice the reels feel great. I've asked him for the 5-155 a long time ago, but it got lost along the way.
It's not just about more drags, these little reels feel great with that much more travel with the star.
Inserts would be worthless in these, the 5+1 would be great.

Daron, I like those reels, they turn most off because of their speed, all have their place. I'm glad you decided to give it more life, I wouldn't be too concerned with the plates, as you could see for yourself, those are pretty thick.
That little reel can hold its own.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 08, 2015, 02:55:03 PM
I've asked him for the 5-155 a long time ago, but it got lost along the way.

I think they are in the works, I passed the information I got to Bryan.  As of now I'm hand grinding the OD of the keyed and CF washers.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Scottj,
You've heard several opinions on the strength of the 85 sideplates.  Maybe someone will push the envelope and see how well their reel holds up.  Regardless, I think the 85 is a fine reel for rockfish with 25-30 lb mono.
George

Daron, if you widened your 85 with a 65 spool and stand, what should we call it?  Since a Delmar 285 is essentially an 85, and a widened 285 is called a 286, then yours should be an 86. ;)
viurem lliures o morirem

RowdyW

George, if you put a 65 spool in a Sea Boy 85 it's still a Sea Boy but a 190.  If you put an 85 spool in a Lb 60 is it Sea Boy 60? It's still a LB 60.   RUDY

George4741

Rudy, I'm just playing around with names/numbers. ;D  There are two different 190 reels.  The original 190 is a direct drive without drag washers and uses a 180 sized spool.  The newer 190, as you may know, has a larger main gear than an 85, and uses the same size drag washers as a jigmaster.  Daron's widened 85 (aka 86 ;)) with -60 size washers is a different animal.  Nah, I would never call a Long Beach a Seaboy, regardless of what spool it has.

Penn has created much confusion and their model numbers can be irritating.  For example, I believe Long Beach 60's can be found with either a plastic or metal spool.  They are still a Long beach 60, regardless of spools.  The 85 and 285 are basically the same reel and I've seen both with either a plastic or metal spool.  They use different bridges/gear sleeves, but they can be swapped around, too.   
George  
viurem lliures o morirem