Penn 220 GTO opinion?

Started by mr t, September 23, 2009, 02:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr t

Hi Alan, wondered if you have an opinion on the the Penn 220GTO series of reels. Saw a pretty good deal on one wondered about getting it. Mainly will be used for bay, and some rockfishing. 

thanks,

alantani

you know, they really aren't that bad.  the schematics are here https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/220gto.pdf  the rebuild procedure would be very similar to the penn 320 gt2.  grease the drags, grease the bearings if no casting is involved.  you know, the usual stuff.  it should be fine after that.  let us know!  alan

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mr t

Cool, thanks; debating between a used 320GT2 for 45 bucks or the 220 new for 75. I'll keep you posted.

alantani

i'd get the used 320 and go through it.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mr t

Made that call about an hour ago, glad to see same thought process going on.

Tile

I own a Penn 220 GTO reel and I have to say that is a competent reel. Although it has only 2 bearings the execution and assembly are excellent as well as the functioning. My reel is from a recent production run and has the HT-100 carbonfiber drag washers. I chose it because it has a proven gear train design and antireverse.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Tile

CEShawn

Just incase more people search this.

I run a 6pak charter boat and use these reels for tautog/scup/seabass with charters.  After the year I took the line guide off these reels and have been great for over ten years now.  Sadly I havent given these reels much needed attention even though they have been put through the ringer.  I have gone through and cleaned them up and they dont need much.  I am currently giving them a big overhaul right now.

Tile

I intend to keep mine fighting fit for a long time. The stand screws upgrade made a ton of difference. If the handle breaks off the arm I have the necessary stainless steel hardware for a permanent repair.