penn model #85

Started by scottj, December 06, 2014, 06:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Quote from: George4741 on March 08, 2015, 04:58:35 PM
Rudy, I'm just playing around with names/numbers. ;D  There are two different 190 reels.  The original 190 is a direct drive without drag washers and uses a 180 sized spool.  The newer 190, as you may know, has a larger main gear than an 85, and uses the same size drag washers as a jigmaster.  Daron's widened 85 (aka 86 ;)) with -60 size washers is a different animal.  Nah, I would never call a Long Beach a Seaboy, regardless of what spool it has.

Penn has created much confusion and their model numbers can be irritating.  For example, I believe Long Beach 60's can be found with either a plastic or metal spool.  They are still a Long beach 60, regardless of spools.  The 85 and 285 are basically the same reel and I've seen both with either a plastic or metal spool.  They use different bridges/gear sleeves, but they can be swapped around, too.   
George  
George, Penn says there is no aluminum spool for a LB 65 but if you get a 1990 up Sea Boy 190 aluminum spool it will fit a LB 65 & it's still a Lb 65. Or do we call it by the original model name & number & add Modified to the end & add to the confusion? Like LB 65 Mod ??  ;D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: RowdyW on March 08, 2015, 07:47:14 AM
Shouldn't it be a 65 stand & a 65 spool? Now it's a Sea Boy 190 .
Its Actually a 30-66 stand and a 29M-65 stainless spool with 112H Bars.
the 65 stand that came with it didn't have the rod clamp
That is what I had laying around and it works.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I missed that a 66 stand will fit 85 side plates with a 65 spool. If that is the case then I think a 190 aluminum spool would work. I believe that what you end up with is a slow 112H, and for live bait there is nothing wrong with that.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

A late 190 spool is the only way I know of to get an aluminum spool into a LB 65. SB&T only lists s/s & plastic for the 65. So if you want to lighten up a 65 grab a 190 aluminum spool.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: George4741 on March 08, 2015, 03:31:08 PM
Scottj,
You've heard several opinions on the strength of the 85 sideplates.  Maybe someone will push the envelope and see how well their reel holds up.  Regardless, I think the 85 is a fine reel for rockfish with 25-30 lb mono.
George

Daron, if you widened your 85 with a 65 spool and stand, what should we call it?  Since a Delmar 285 is essentially an 85, and a widened 285 is called a 286, then yours should be an 86. ;)
I Like it George. My Penn 86! ;D
Life is Good!

George4741

A short story about what could have happened:

After one of the Penn R&D folks created a widened version of the Delmar 285, now known as the 286, it was only natural to widen the Seaboy 85. R&D presented the proposed reel to the advertising and accounting folks for their input.  The head guy, we'll call him BC (short for Bean Counter) said "86 that."  The R&D guy, who was mostly deaf from exposure to artillery fire in WWI, said "That sounds like a great idea.  Since a widened 285 is now the 286, it's only natural that the similarly widened 85 will be called the 86."  BC said "No, no, I mean I want to 86 this reel!  Kill it, sink it, toss it into Davy Jones Locker!  Do not put it into production!  We have too many similar reels as it is and you guys are driving me crazy!" Dejectedly, Deaf Guy held the wonderful creation in his shaking hands and left the office, self-esteem so totally destroyed that he never created another reel during what was left of his short career at Penn.  He died a broken man in a flop house on skid row in Portland, empty Carling Black Label bottles littering the floor around his bed, while awaiting a tramp steamer to Shanghai.  Thankfully, good ideas never die and Deaf Guy would be elated to know that more than three generations later his reel would be revived, in design and name, by another Renaissance man who also had a vision.  We all know this man by the name of Shark Hunter.

Now you know the strange story behind the creation and name of the Seaboy 86. ::)

Published with permission from Daron.  
Thanks Buddy,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

mhc

Quote from: George4741 on March 13, 2015, 04:42:31 AM
Now you know the strange story behind the creation and name of the Seaboy 86. ::)

Thanks George (and Daron), I had no idea! All this time I thought the one we call Shark Hunter was just fooling around with reel modifications like the rest of us but he has been on a noble quest to resurrect the dreams of those that went before us. I'm going to look at widening my 85 - we owe it to the deaf guy.  ;D 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

George4741

mhc, glad you like the story and Daron's reel. ;) 
viurem lliures o morirem