stainless Steel Gear sleeve and Carbonex drag washers for 113H

Started by dwight, October 19, 2010, 03:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I can't answer your question about the washers , I can't determine if they are smothies from your pics, most likly they're not, you probably have an earlier model 113H. The main gear and pinion are stainless, but have not been upgraded ,I'm sure the ratio is 3.25:1.If the reel was upgraded, you would probably have a 4:1 gear ratio and the gears would be Accurate or Newell, these gears do not come with the brass sleeve as you have in your main gear. You got yourself a good deal for the money. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tidetime

It is an early model 113h.  I haven't taken apart the 114hl yet but it is in pretty good shape.  It needs a eccentric lever and a good servicing and I'll probably replace the washers as well.  Doubt I'll use the longbeach. 

The washers look like brake pad material and thick.  I was expecting to see fiber washers in there, bc that was what was in my other 113h that Alan serviced.     

Alto Mare

Good description on the washers, that is the material that Penn used on earlier models. If I were you I would also replace the washers on the 6/0. You didn't pay much for those reels, it would be a good investment for you to install some HT100's.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Those possibly looks like steel gears with a stainless pinion.  Penn had some gears made out of steel at one time, and they are a treasure.  Just keep them greased and they will last longer than your reel.

Regarding the drags, they do look like Penn's drag washers.  Penn may have a 5 stack HT-100 plus washer set and so does Smoothdrag.  They both will be effective and come with thinner metal washers.

That steel gear is a great bonus to find, for sure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tidetime

I cleaned the main gear, it is the steel gear.  Next question would be should I upgrade to the steel gear sleeve?  I fish the gulf of mexico.  I plan on using this reel as a bottom fishing setup for grouper and snapper mainly. 

I bought the 6/0 for a budget trolling setup for Wahoo. Besides the HT100s that I'll put in there would there be anything else you guys would do to this reel - minus a new handle...I know that suggestion is coming.  ;D

Alto Mare

I would definitely replace the gear sleeve on the 4/0 and also add a nice power handle. About the 6/0, you pretty much have it covered, the stack sleeve on the 6/0 should be strong enough for you. Don't forget to also add the HT-100 under the main gear on both reels. Happy fishing!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 12, 2011, 03:46:32 AM
Regarding the drags, they do look like Penn's drag washers.  Penn may have a 5 stack HT-100 plus washer set and so does Smoothdrag.  They both will be effective and come with thinner metal washers.

PennParts has a complete 5-stack washer set, HT100s and metals. It's a little cheaper than buying the metal set and the HT100 set.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

yeah, looks like a stainless steel pinion gear, a plain (rustable) steel main gear, and an old set of thick penn composite washers.  get some grease on the gears and they should be fine.  upgrade to a set of carbon fiber drag washes with grease and the drag washers should be fine.  if you are fishing greater than 20 pounds of drag, consider a stainless steel gear sleeve.  brass will probably be fine for now.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brendan

Stainless Yoke 6) ?   I thought I did everything to my 4/0's. Who has stainless yokes, and are they necessary?

Thanks in advance. Brendan.

Alto Mare

What do you mean by everything? If you are keeping the gears, than there is no need to replace the yoke unless it is domaged. If you are upgrading the gears to stainless steel gears with a faster gear ratio, than yes you will need to upgrade the yoke with the stainless steel Yoke, the faster stainless steel gears will tear up the stock yoke.

I get my stainless steel yokes from CharkBait.com, you could also try SmoothDrags.com but I'm not sure if they have them.

Brendan

By everything I mean upgrades to drag washers, gear sleeve, Aluminum frame, and high speed gears in one of two reels, and Alan's Power handles. I guess I will crack open the one reel to check that out. I also have been looking for another set of gears without dealing with Ebay.

Alto Mare

Brendan, you will definitely need the SS yoke in that reel with all the goodies, I don't think that you will be able to find faster SS gears for the 114H, if you do let me know about it, I've been looking for a while now.
I understand what you're saying about Ebay, I'm a part-time buyer as well as a seller. A good 80% of the reels that I purchase are not as described, but I don't argue because I usually strip them down to the bone and then re-sell them to make someone else happy, I don't do it for the money, if I did I would be broke by now, it's just one of my senseless hobbies. Someone is selling a set of newell 4 :1 gears with the yoke for $65. Newell sells them for $45 without the yoke, by the time you pay for shipping and a SS yoke you will be close to what the seller on ebay is asking. Keep in mind that he has to pay for listing and ebay gets a commission when he sells them. ;)

Try  CharkBait.com sometimes they have them in stock, if they don't Leeana could probably get them for you, but not so sure about just one set. Hope this helps, Sal

Taily

Charkbait had them in stock in January this year, so hopefully should still have them.... http://www.charkbait.com/cs/maintena.htm about half way down the page. The yoke was around four bucks and the gears about $36. They had to have a scratch around but they were great in keeping me informed as to when they were able to get them shipped (internationally to Australia).

I know what you guys mean about Feebay, however you can sometimes pick up some bargains. I found a bloke selling a new gearset (supposedly standard 3.25:1 ratio) to suit a 113H/4-0 with plenty of pics showing the gearset. I emailled the guy and asked the question if that was the item for sale (the one pictured that is), the answer was yes.... The pinion is the spitting image of the Newell 4:1 gearset but the clincher was the extra tooth on the maingear when held up next to a standard Newell 4:1 gearset (I have to admit I got my wife to check the number of teeth in the pictures). This stainless gearset seems to spin the spool at around 4.2-4.25:1 and is significantly similar in noise to a standard Newell gearset and works a treat in my 113H with the red Accurate frame and handle. Dunno what exactly I have bought but it works a beaut in the reel and has become my new fave ree after lapping the new gears in with some toothpastel! :-*

Pity that bloke doesn't have any more of them.... All he wanted was $10 plus $5 to post to Oz...  ;D

Nunc est bibendum....

Tidetime

Quick question, after replacing the 3+1 drag stack in the 6/0, with a 5+1 ht100 and 1 under the main gear, what kind of usable drag should be expected out of this reel?

Norcal Pescador

After I rebuilt my 114H with the 1+5 drag stack, I measured 26 pounds. Not bad when Penn advertises 28 pounds max. Tight lines with them! 8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD