stainless Steel Gear sleeve and Carbonex drag washers for 113H

Started by dwight, October 19, 2010, 03:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwight

Looking for some cost effective upgrades to a well loved 113H. These two seamed to be the most bang for the buck. Where is the best place to buy them? Are there any additional additions that will not break the bank that any one would recommend? I would gladly take some input. Thanks ahead of time for the help.
DH

Phinaddict

Go see Dawn! She'll set you up.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html

Or, you can get HT-100's from :
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn113H.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Phinaddict

......And I think Alan has stainless gear sleeves for sale.......I'm sure he'll chime in here in a bit and get you set up right!
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

broadway

Dwight,

1) Greased carbontex drags (don't forget the fiber washer under the main gear) 2) Stainless gear sleeve 3) Pete Kolekar/or T bar lite  4) Tiburon topless/JVariance Frame 5) Stainless Yoke 6) Newell 4:1 gear/pinion 7) Smoothdrag flat metal washers...GO BIG or GO HOME!!!  ;D
Dom

dwight

Thanks! I'll call smoothdrag in the morning for the carbontex. Alan you mentioned the #6-875 drag washer behind the main gear? That is the washer sitting right on the gear sleeve.. Correct? not sure if I followed that one right. I'll get that ordered as well.
I have to admit this can be addicting... lol
Cheers
DH

dwight

I've been following the "go big or go home" mind set.. Not sure if my wallet will follow it thought.. LOL It would be nice to get the newel gears though, that sounded like a nice granny style addition.
DH

broadway

You got it right... On the gear sleeve under the main gear. Have fun, Dwight!
Dom  

Bryan Young

Dwight,

I my humble opinion and empty wallet (mainly this reason), upgrade for what you are intending to fish for, fishing style, and line strength.  First and formost,  greased carbon drags is must.  If you have a 3 drag washer set-up, change up to Smoothdrag's 5+1 stack with thin metal washers.  The smoother the drags, the better your chances for wearing the fishout without line breakage.

If you intend to fish with 30#, I would recommend getting a T-handle (like Kolekar from Alan) or Tibrion handle and arm. 

40# Add the stainless gear sleeve.

50# + Solid alluminum frames.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

dwight

Bryan Young

Alan just got a bunch in, but not sure if it's for the 113H.  Will check in with him today or tomorrow.  By the way, for those who doesn't know, this is Alan's hobby.  It seems more like a full time job.  So it may take a day or two for him to respond.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wolli

In my humble opinion and empty wallet...

Bryan,

you are a really poor guy, with the next shipment i enclose some towels ;D

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

dwight

Thanks Brian On the Gear Sleeve I'm petty sure I need the Fine thread one. My star has a stamp of "10- something" I think it is a 5 but to fant to relly tell. but the threads are fine for sure.
Cheers to all for the help!
DH

Bryan Young

Alan does have the stainless steel 113H gear sleeves http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=157.0.  Send him a personal mail and a check as indicated in his instructions.  If you are overseas, he will need to arrange payment via his PayPal account.  Hope this helps to get things moving forward.

In the next month or two, we will be updating the website with Alan's inventory status of all available parts, including solid aluminum frames, handles and handle arms,...  Stay tuned.

alantani

sorry for the delay....

for what it is and what it does, i think that the humble 4/0 penn senator 113hl is one of the best bargains around.  the first thing i would do is tear down the reel.  the fiber washer under the main gear needs to be replaced with a penn ht-100 #6-875 drag washer.  then all of the drag washers need a light coat of cal's grease.  then i would pull the bearings.  you have two choices here.  if freespool is needed, pull the shields, clean out the old grease, lube it with something light and re-install the bearings open.  if freespool is not needed, pack with bearings with grease and call it done.  now take an old toothbrush and rub a light coat of grease all over and get some grease in all the screw holes. unless your gear sleeve and/or gears are damaged, leave them be.  replace them with stainless steel only if there is damage. 

to hotrod this reel a little, i would recommend a handle upgrade next.  the 6/0 grip and stainless steel arm that i have are $50.  with drag settings above 12 pounds, a $25 stainless steel gear sleeve and a stainless steel gear set ($60 from newell!!!!!!!!!!!) would be next.  and aluminum frame would be last.  i would pass on aluminum side plates all together, unless you simply like the look.  of course, at this point 90% of your original reel has been replaced.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tidetime

Bringing up an old thread.  Today I received my newest ebay purchase, 114hl, a 113h, and a longbeach65 ($71+$10 shipping).  I tore a part the 113h and ordered a 5+1 kit from Dawn.  A couple of things stood out so I thought I post these pic to see if you guys can tell me what I have. 

I assume the 3+1 stack of fat washers are smoothies?

Also the main gear appears to be stainless, I checked pennparts and they sell brass so I take it someone has upgraded this reel? Any Ideas?