Baby Steps

Started by Wally15, December 07, 2014, 02:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

You guys crack me up. Your OCD is showing ::). Example - I started a thread about 98-60 gear sleeves for my black 113's a few days ago; after 30 responses I'm still not sure which way is up! I feel like I'm discussing the Theory of Relativity with Steven Hawking.
But that's OK. Deep end of the pool and all that.
My question of the day concerns Belleville washers/tension springs for a 113 and 113H - and maybe the 114H series as well.
And yes, I have tried the search function, but with very limited success.
There are 2 8-60's on the 113 series, 1 008-349 and 1 018-970 on the 113H (I'm using the "baby step" principle here).
Overall question #1 - what exactly is the purpose of these? Constant slight tension on the drag washers to keep the eared washers in place would be my GUESS.
Overall question #2 - why are they called "Bellevilles" when Penn calls them tension springs?

On the Black 113 ONLY (to further simplify - NOT the "old style" with external drag access):
A) these Bellevilles are stacked together between the spacer and the star drag- what is the proper orientation for these washers - )( or () - - -  or even )) or ((
While I'm partial to the belly-rub orientation, sometimes the "nose and toes" also has it's place :D.

On the 113H (and 114H) these Bellevilles are separated by the spacer. Again, how should they be oriented?

One of the flea market/fleabay 113H's I picked up last month doesn't even have these Bellevilles. What's a good source to buy some?

That's my question quota for the day. And remember, I'm asking you for the time, not how to build a watch  :)

I'm a retired engineer, and more than a little OCD myself. I HATE not understanding how/why something mechanical functions.

Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

broschro

:D  I love this fourm of brother and sister's, I don't get to post as much as I used to three boy's wife's counting eeducation keeps us busy to say the least. Mike you will learn a lot here and if you take it all in your reels will be tanked, hot-rodded and blinged out.

foakes

Good Morning, Wally -- 

#1 -- Yes

#2 -- Named for inventor

#3 -- Parallel, Series, or Parallel-Series combo -- depending on stack, spacer, and desired function

#4 -- McMaster, Dawn at Smooth-Drag, Scott's

*** Generally, it is useful to have more discussion about a certain question than less -- reason: more folks are reading these posts than most people can possibly realize -- worldwide -- so a question explored involving various aspects and different answers can be useful to many more folks than just the original asking poster -- with this in mind, there is also a great searchable archive that will store all of the answers -- then one can pick and choose what works best for their particular application -- it is all about helping, sharing, teaching, and knowledge. 

Lot of Fun!  😀😀😀

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Wally15 on December 07, 2014, 02:29:40 PM
You guys crack me up. Your OCD is showing ::). Example - I started a thread about 98-60 gear sleeves for my black 113's a few days ago; after 30 responses I'm still not sure which way is up! I feel like I'm discussing the Theory of Relativity with Steven Hawking.
But that's OK. Deep end of the pool and all that.
My question of the day concerns Belleville washers/tension springs for a 113 and 113H - and maybe the 114H series as well.
And yes, I have tried the search function, but with very limited success.
There are 2 8-60's on the 113 series, 1 008-349 and 1 018-970 on the 113H (I'm using the "baby step" principle here).
Overall question #1 - what exactly is the purpose of these? Constant slight tension on the drag washers to keep the eared washers in place would be my GUESS.
Overall question #2 - why are they called "Bellevilles" when Penn calls them tension springs?

On the Black 113 ONLY (to further simplify - NOT the "old style" with external drag access):

A) these Bellevilles are stacked together between the spacer and the star drag- what is the proper orientation for these washers - )( or () - - -  or even )) or ((
While I'm partial to the belly-rub orientation, sometimes the "nose and toes" also has it's place :D.

On the 113H (and 114H) these Bellevilles are separated by the spacer. Again, how should they be oriented?

One of the flea market/fleabay 113H's I picked up last month doesn't even have these Bellevilles. What's a good source to buy some?

That's my question quota for the day. And remember, I'm asking you for the time, not how to build a watch  :)

I'm a retired engineer, and more than a little OCD myself. I HATE not understanding how/why something mechanical functions.

Mike

Sorry if it's getting confusing for you, but receiving 30 responses is a very good thing.
There are lots of combinations with these reels, some are stock and some have been modified along the way.
On your first question
I usually see the washers in this orientation )) curved side towards the star. You'll get away with one on most reels.
On your second question
The belleville is a cupped washer, the tension spring is a wavy washer.

Keep in mind, we are all volunteers and try to help as much as we can at all times.
I admit, I'm not a good organizer, too much going on. I do this as a hobby and so does everyone else, I have three work benches and no room to work on reels. ;D
You got yourself lots of good information from the thread on the 98-60 gear sleeve, some of the answers were spot on. Take the information that you're looking for and move on to the next .
Try to ask one one or two question at a time, I can assure you they will all be answered.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.