Anybody ever fished the Midnight Lump in the GoM?

Started by Wally15, December 08, 2014, 03:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I may have an opportunity to go YFT fishing out of Venice, LA in late February. Just wondering if anyone had ever fished the Midnight Lump that could give me a few pointers.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Keta

We towed a 21' boat from Oregon to LA and spent a month, 36 days, camping at the Venice Marina several years ago and fished the Lump.  
The fishing was very good.  When we were there things were still flattened by Katrina.

Here's an article about the trip, about 50% BS but it gives you a little insight on what we did.  The person in the red jacket on the back of the boat is me.
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=410

This wahoo was from the Lump.

And our largest YFT, the 3 guys on the left flew down, rented a van and "camped" in it.  The 2 ugly guys on the right towed the boat down and slept in the boat and truck.  It was a 4 day trip down and 4 days back.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

I've fished it pretty extensively in the early to mid-90s.  You are in for a treat, provided the weather cooperates.  Feb should be a good time if year as well.  Pay close attention to tue currents and any current lines that develop.  If the blue water moves in close (within 8 miles if the pass), and water temps stay higher fishing should be good.  Fishing is usually best around either the Full or new moons (when currents are higher).  Fish the up current side of the lump, and concentrate on chunking or live bait w/blue runners early morning, evening or night time, and troll the edges (I think down riggers help) during the day time.  The bite usually occurs in roughly 6hr cycles (when the currents are strongest), and can last from 20mins to 1.5hrs of action.  We troll skirted or bare balleyhoo on down riggers for wahoo on the edges, and slow troll large double hook rapalas on down riggers for tuna working outside (deeper waters) from the lump preferably on tue up current side, when tuna are down deep.  If you see birds/tuna working the surface don't be afraid to pick up and run in front of the school to get some baits to em before they go back down.  Don't just focus on tuna, since the wahoo bite can also be unbelievable this time if year if the conditions are right.  If you get a wahoo, mark the spot and rework the area, since there are usually more around.  We have caught done if the best fish at the lump in feb.  Good luck, and be careful with the fog that is prevalent this time if year.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Btw we caught are best wahoo ever on the lump in Feb.  A pair (M/F) that were near 140lbs each!  We were stayin at Port Eads with 'Buzzy' at the time, and had to cut em up for storage before being able to weigh them on a certified scale otherwise they would have easily topped the existing LA state record fish.  I think the fish girthed out at 30"!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

I also hooked and brought to the boat a large bull shark.  I would go back anytime.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain